1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do we need 2 Deserts? Pepega Abyss

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ripit, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Felyni

Felyni Tamer 61 NA

ahh, ya that's what I thought! Thank's for the info, it just made no sense with folk saying it was going to replace BDO lol, So it's basically a single player game with Co-op. Prequel.

2. Maevynn

It's seemingly also gonna be an MMORPG, but we haven't seen any of the MMORPG elements yet just the single-player campaign. So we've got no idea what the Crimson MMO portion is gonna look like.. Scary thought, but either way it'll definitely draw a different crowd than BDO just based on the styling alone.

If I were to guess (absolutely nothing behind this guess aside from trying to get a read from the trailer, since the single-player combat will almost definitely influence the MMORPG-side's combat) CD will probably have slower combat, which will also draw a different crowd. But yeah—I'm personally not too worried about it replacing BDO, it seems that PA is making sure it's different enough in its concepts and not just a reskinned BDO that it'll draw very different people to it.

Felyni likes this.
  3. Jaeger

And years later after crimson desert, they decide to throw that game for another xxx desert.

Motoko_Shi likes this.
  4. Ben Phoenix

Of course it's gonna be another "be ready to open your wallet if u wanna have a decent experience" game and that's also why I'm not gonna try it.

5. kakodaimonos

PA will not be pleased with your decision!

6. t4mpel

I heard that often. Appearently it became a modern mentality accusing companies what they do with their money. Some people tend to think the money they gave out is still theirs, like an investment. The truth is the money is gone and was paid for something, in that case a game and its elements. But this is not a share certificate. Maybe is should go to my bakery and blame them that they dont deliver me better bread cause i bought one last week.

Smileybones likes this.
  7. Corrus

I can mod my Skyrim exactly 100% looking the same way so why would I care.
    As for the trailer, its ok. But games like ESO make much better looking trailers for their games.

MADE likes this.
  8. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

Lets talk some sense in here real quick, shall we?

Firstly im gonna deter the biggest misconception in here: The new engine.
    Im 100% sure everyone in this thread who seems to have an opinion on "the new engine" doesnt even have an idea what an engine is.
    Because if they did know their **** they would know that no company on this planet can **** out an entirely new engine in such a short period of time. They obviously took the engine they had, improved it (as you do as a programmer btw) and call it new, because that looks better on paper.
    Like what the hell is this comment? An engine is a fking tool where you write code INTO it. When BDO is using spaghetti code then its not the engines fault, its the fault of the person who used the engine. Obviously when the engine itself is written on spaghetti code then thats another theory but this just proves the fundamental misconception im talking about. Thats like stating your steak is burnt because the electric wiring in your house is off. (steak is prepared using gas btw in this example)

Second thing: Mister OP 2k19 here said specifically:
    and
    In the same scope.
    So lets get to it shall we?
    >Who the fk has the audacity to decide what is "much needed" for the game? Mister OP 2k19 right here definitely not.
    >More group content, again -> who decides this?
    >overhaul of questing system -> which they did (Calpheon main story, mediah main story, to name a few, since those are the biggest)
    >more engaging monsters and zones -> whats your AP again OP? 150, killing catfish? nice try, kid.
    >more classes -> like where do i even start with this one?
    >Fixing life skills -> which they did over the past 3 months constantly btw
    >PvP Updates -> which they certainly did by introducing Arsha, Shadow Arena (which they killed but gonna revive again) and now they are working on implementing small scale arenas if the community wishes.
    Now that we tore that thing down lets move on. Fking zoomers.

Lastly: what is Crimson Desert?
    Its certainly not gonna be the next BDO. period. This has already been discussed frequently on multiple plattforms in different contexts and nothing so far has changed. The trailer didnt tell much but given the fact that we see the same male protagonist pop up in nearly every frame of that trailer we can safely assume that its gonna be more of a witcher type or RD2. Aka a singleplayer game with online features. And even if it isnt, its definitely not gonna replace BDO, simply because of omnipotent, always mentioned money reasons.

T800 likes this.
  9. noctred

noctred NA

Not gonna lie - when I finished watching the CD trailer, all I could think was... "if somebody told me this was a Witcher 4 trailer, I'd believe them."

Based on the trailer alone, I don't see this game being a replacement for BDO. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong and I'll be happy to retract my statement if Pearl Abyss ever bothers to show us footage of the game's multiplayer component. Or maybe they did? I didn't watch G-Star so I dunno.

T800 likes this.
  10. Maevynn

Agreed, partially but they do seem to be intending for there to be an MMORPG with this too:

"So far, the main departure from BDO appears to be the presence of a full-fledged single-player campaign centered around Macduff, the leader of a ragtag band of mercenaries struggling to survive in the harsh continent of Pywel. In addition to that, Pearl Abyss also promised plenty of MMO content. " (https://wccftech.com/pearl-abyss-sh...or-crimson-desert-plan-8-and-dokev-mmo-games/)

They seem to be bundling the Witcher/RDR2-type single-player campaign along with the MMORPG aspect: "Crimson Desert is an open-world MMORPG set in an epic-fantasy world." (https://www.pearlabyss.com/news_public_list/newsview?idx=428&Page=1&NowNum=57)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, I do 100% agree that it isn't gonna just replace BDO. They seem like very different games. I think that combat is probably gonna be slower to fit in with that Witcher/RDR2-style storytelling (which will attract a different crowd from BDO's style of combat), the aesthetic seems very different from BDO, BDO makes them tons of money as it is and they have plenty planned for it for years to come. If anything, if CD is successful it can only stand to help PA as a company, which is good for BDO as they plan to continue development on it.

11. ALO

ALO

little over 1-year development and ppl expect to see what the game will be ... its too early, most important questions are is there will be Festa this year we need some event for BDO information or ppl will go crazy, and second can they update BDo with the new engine?

Maevynn likes this.
  12. woots

Dat John Snow ripoff... /facepalm.
    otherwise, not surprised the land scape and the world details look incredible, for that point, they always do amazing work

After... the most concerning issue with thoses PA guys : how sh#tty the gamedesign will be, and how bad they will scam with p2w and overpriced CS.

13. MADE

That's just pr bullshít. Developing a new engine takes a decade, and loots of money. They are not that dumb to burn money for no reason.

What they do in reality is creating a bigger patch for bdo's engine, and call it "New". The dumb pleb players not going to see the reality anyway, but it sounds nicer.

T800 likes this.
  14. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 62 NA

Ooooh, those actual in-game cut scenes are so pretty. Take some screenshots of the characters/NPCs they show, they look pretty much the same.

15. WinterMilla

I mean, its up in the air. No doubt the game won't look good, but I just feel like its not BDO in the slighest, then again its not BDO. I think they should have named it something else rather than Desert as everyone is gonna just compare it to it.

As fair as deeper analyzing of it, ill hold off until i see some more game play and mechanics.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  16. Maevynn

Yeah, I agree about the name and deeper analysis—We didn't really see any gameplay or anything like that, and they probably should've called it Crimson Sands or something to prevent people from associating it too much with BDO. But I guess the damage is done.

17. T800

Actually calling it Crimson Desert, will make new players look up Black Desert too, as it will show up on the search engines. It's extra advertisement for Black Desert. - And that how they will be able to milk players in both game.

Maevynn likes this.
  18. MADE

That's not true, then engine isn't the tool where you write your code, but you are right on the part, that they didn't created a new engine, it's just a marketing slang, nothing more. It's not the first time when PA lied, so...

19. MinMaid

MinMaid Guardian 62 NA

Crimson desert will delete BDO :D

20. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

Alright so, tell us which engines you have worked with so i can disproof you real fast.