1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I think I've changed my mind about Sea Monster hunting...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Von_Chicanery, Aug 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Von_Chicanery

After complaining virtually everywhere about sea monster hunting...
    I dusted off the sailboat and went sailing again. It wasn't as bad as I remember, but still "sort of" boring.
    Maybe because I'm still a beginner sailor with green gear. I went hunting with a skilled sailor in a decked out Frigate and she showed me the ropes about ramming sea monsters, how to flip, etc..
    Its not easy by any means at first until you get the hang of it. Then its still not really THAT easy.

So we hunted South of Vell spawn for about an hour or so, then sailed back and pumped up the guild bank a bit(No 100m drops). Rose maybe 50m between us + blue item ship mats. I'm in a NW guild, nothing special T1, hardly anyone else is even on these days, but most of the ones who are, are not sailing.

These massive payouts are coming from guilds, who still have active players, working together to make billions, by sailing around and hunting these monsters. I've honestly changed my mind about it. If you can actually get that many people in this game, working towards a common goal in your guild, then you deserve it.

But, as many would say, as well as I, its breaking the economy. I still think this but not because people are making tons of money sailing, its due to lack of things to sink that money in. Of course we're all going to be irate, if people with BILLIONS are bidding/buying the same thing that people with MILLIONS are... none of us will ever compete with that unless we do what they're doing.

We need an economy that works for everyone to gear up but doesn't penalize the ultra wealthy.

So, how about this(just a few ideas I thought about..):
    1. Silver Shop:(This may take some cash of the KashKao coffers, but it benefits everyone.)
    -items can consist of non additive points house items
    -outfits(not as nice) with different bonuses etc
    just throwing numbers out there, surely the devs have actually numbers they can crunch on the back end..
    500m Silver = 15 Day Value Pack
    500m Silver = 15 Kama Buff
    etc..

Basically make like the existing Pearl shop, but very expensive with silver.
    Gives players the option to either spend real money(Devs likey/players with little time likey)
    OR
    The option to spend massive amounts of in game silver(Devs likey economy is stablizing, players like economy is stabilizing, and ultra rich have an outlet spend money on)

2. War Buffs for Silver:
    Set war buffs available for purchase at the beginning of every node war, for a steeper price than current food buffs. Could be tricky to implement, advantages of buffs being to OP, impact to current cooks making food, but I think with the right moves it could work.

3. Tiered In Game Luxury Tax (The dagger, what I'll get flamed for the most, and sort of dread myself)
    -Tax system, that promotes the expenditure of silver. The more you're sitting on, the more your tax is.
    -Based on your total amount of wealth. The game already calculates this, should be easy to tier it out.

Now, where does that tax go? To make it more fair for everyone, I would say back into guild funds without the ability to be dispersed. You wouldn't have that wealth without the guild, only fitting it goes back into the kitty.

4. Item injection/Valks Scroll Purchase
    -Loose thought here, maybe make some items and valks scrolls purchasable at very, VERY expensive rate.(make the night vendor proud lol)

Just a few thoughts. Try to not go crazy on me people.

Edit: Upped my boat gear and figured out ramming pretty well now. Comes in about half the hits and averaging around 8 mins a kill and 5 or so to find another sea monster. Starting to compare it with regular grinding at this point. Not much difference between dash'ing group to group grinding, with the caveat of not getting to keep all the money/items and having to share it (willfully) with the guild. Couple of nodes getting taxed with the additional income from sea monsters should equate to a decent payout(not billions...)
    -Additionally, if you can take a month break, you can go into Olvia servers and farm the crap out of lobsters/pearls for boat gear.

#1 Von_Chicanery, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Stef, Zytlis, Rena and 5 others like this.
  2. Kn0xxPT

Kn0xxPT Striker 62 EU

Black Ocean Online

or

Black Desert Online - Pirate Edition.

Blitzball, jose0320 and Vunak like this.
  3. Von_Chicanery

I'm down for it. I think PVP battles on the sea could be awesome. Maybe this is some hidden nudge towards that.
    New way to sink the guild money into fleets. If done right it could be amazing.

Crimson_Scarlet, Vunak and LucidKill like this.
  4. Kn0xxPT

Kn0xxPT Striker 62 EU

I came from ArcheAge, one of my best experiences in Naval War and GvsG in the Sea.

BDO needs alot of rework to get near ArcheAge Naval physics, mechanics and gameplay ( yet it was not perfect ) I had Gallion and the Catamaran. loosing any of the ships was a tremendous work to rebuild.

Yet, the problem its that your suggestion just going to Sea Hunting became the only viable option to progression... and that is not a solution.

Video of my times in ArcheAge GvG Naval War.

Ljungen, CM Kabz, Josh28 and 2 others like this.
  5. Srich

Its not a money sink problem.. its that sea hunt is too easy to exploit and this activity is mean to be done in groups like 3+ ppl and here is the problem since the big ammount of exploits that ppl are daily doing ( without even knowing it ) make them able to solo a sea monster in 2 to 3 mins in the worst scenario meanwhile it should be doable by a group of 5+ppl.. Once they stop the exploits there will no more be a solo player killing monsters in a couple of mins and it will be a fair activity to do in groups.

Mana_Mafia likes this.
  6. jose0320

Silver shop ?
    Are you new to the game ?
    This greedy company will never ever do such a generous idea

Draconnix likes this.
  7. Andaro

Ambassador

Boat flipping is an exploit, as you are meant to "turn" the ship, hence the turn% scaling on upgrading boat parts.

With that said, you can find info here on what kind of silver can be ultimately generated, for a Sea Beast only guild

8. zhagsten

Trading ingame currency for real world currency would help greatly against inflation.

9. Von_Chicanery

Having a hard time understanding how adjusting your mouse control in predefined system options is an "exploit"..

Draconnix likes this.
  10. ViktoryiaV

ViktoryiaV Valkyrie 62

I think you have some excellent ideas for different things that could be silver sinks. It gives some people more options, and keeps options open for others, without taking anything away from anyone they don't willingly give. People don't have to (for e.g) spend 500 mil silver on a value pack if they don't want to, but I can see how that would appeal to many (myself too, if I did sea monsters and was receiving sea monster payouts). I'd gladly never spend pearls again.

Von_Chicanery likes this.
  11. zhagsten

All exploits are done by some workaround using mechanics at your disposal. They are still exploits.

12. Andaro

Ambassador

most people do have a hard time discerning whether a particular system having an effect on something is intended or unintended, so i do not fault you at all. A very long time ago, before I started bug testing I used to have the same misconceptions, until a very wise group of GMs and testers also explained it to me, after a few hammers of my own (yes, I was once a very naughty boy)

Anywho, the Mouse Point to Move system was designed to allow you to move you by clicking a destination, or interact with an object by clicking.

But, it was discovered, that certain tricks with it would cause certain actions to happen, like "flipping the boat 180°". Boats are supposed to be "turned" not "flipped" and thusly this is called an unintended bug, or, if you prefer, a lack of developer testing or "oversight"

A very wise Community Manager, from another publisher, once told me, When looking for bugs, and discerning whether or not something was intended or unintended, "you have to ask yourself, do I truly believe this is how the game was meant to be played?, does this feel right?"

@GM Dew

#12 Andaro, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Sidina, zhagsten and Von_Chicanery like this.
  13. Nosimo

Mouse movement has been used to flip skills around in pvp forever, is this an exploit now to?

Draconnix likes this.
  14. Andaro

Ambassador

how long a bug has been around, unfixed, or gone unnoticed is irrelevant to the point.

But I will contest that these types of matters need official commentary in order to resolve community disputes and let us move onward to other issues. But, if I were forced to resolve the greater of two evils, I would resolve the sea beast as a priority , due to its nature, and what it yields.

My personal.opinion, in fairness to all, ethically speaking, would be that they should simply disable "Click to move" entirely, until it can be sufficiently debugged.

Sidina likes this.
  15. Reuter

Reuter Tamer 61 EU

"Skilled sailor" and the 2 of you only managed to reel in 50M???? If I only get Neidan (which never happens, I'd get the 100M item once every 10 kills roughly) I'm taking home 130M per trip and that's only cause I got pleb weight limit (650 Neidan per char). That also takes much less than an hour.

16. Life Aries

Because mouse control varieties are intended to give flexibility to players with different playstyles -- not be a requirement for using (as exploiters would call it) a "skill".

17. Loriel

Loriel Witch 62

Only people who doing it defend it.
    So you change your mind because you started to doing it.
    Thank you for making topic about that. Its very interesting.

18. Nibblesdragon

Those are all good ideas, but it still doesn't tackle the root cause. Pure silver and nothing else as a reward for SM hunting. Consider enhancing mats/accessories/whatever instead of *just* pure silver.

19. AlnilamE

So does that option make the game work sort of like Diablo III? Where you click on the spot where you want your character to go?

20. Kelt Rand

Good post, and subsequent replies. I like the fact that players are offering ideas to alleviate our current conundrum. A few thoughts on next steps:

1 Temper the current mechanics of Sea Hunting notably the mouse dynamic noted above (and yes I do Sea Hunt a bit)

2 Add a reverse tax in the marketplace to incentivize sellers and producers of gear and matierial

3 Buff drops slightly to motivate more grinding and aid supply

These measures are more short term until a more robust set of solutions could be made (with a lot of thoughtful deliberation)