1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is BDO buy 2 play?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by WinterMilla, Jul 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. WinterMilla

I didn't join when the game first came out so I never go the reason why it went buy to play. I honestly think it should go back to being free 2 play as its been modeled after such.

This is a bit of my argument:
    Thing is i'm not saying having a cash shop is bad, what I am saying is the things you put in there are. While you can get from 1 - 62 with no money other than the entry cost, its the journey there that is the problem. As a player that doesn't spend money on things other that cosmetics and value packs it will take me a fair bit of luck to get through the game with its in-game features. However if I where to just up load money to the game sell costumes, melts costumes, and buy artisan memories the time it takes me to get there is dramatically reduced.

If the items in the pearl shop were strictly cosmetic only and had little to no impact on game play then there would be no issue. However to be as effective as possible you going to need the following:

5 tier 3 ~ 4 pets
    max weight
    max inventory
    5ish maids or storage
    2 maids for market place (more if needed)
    Costume + awking costume
    Functonal clothes (such as the shark outfit, maid outfit, gillie, ect)
    storage expanison
    worker expasions
    value pack
    brand stones (so you can use less durability)
    kama blessing
    exp books
    artisans (save siliver and time on repairs)

Thats to be really effective in this game as a life skiller/grinder. Yes you can play without those, but just how much time do you add on for not having even one of those things? BDO has adopted the mobile marketing style that is to say, you can play for free but its gonna cost you extreme amounts of time. I was reminded of this when I had see a "Finish Now" button next to my workers asking for pearls and not some in game item. P2W doesn't just mean you can outright buy gear from the market, but that another player is getting an advantage by just spending more money. When I complain about RNG, its not that I think its 100% a bad thing, but to have RNG on everything is just too much. Not only that but they game punishes you for not rolling that dice the way they wanted. Hell even the items you spend money on can't even give you a 100% chance on things.

Crone stones may or may not protect your enhancing. You buy pets and you may or may not get Teir 4. You spend money on fairies you may or may not get the skills you wanted. You buy horse skills coupons you may or may not get the skills you want. If your playing for free then F you because everything is gonna cost you x10 as much in time. Your fairy has the wrong skills? Go grind/fish for more until you get enough to reroll her and you better hope you get lucky and reroll a tier 4 again so you can try again at the skills. Your horse don't have the skills you wanted? Either go use billions of sliver buying one you want or you go back and start from square one.

I'm not saying that things should be "ez and free", but theu should not be anywhere near that painful. You can run the game without digging deeper into the customers wallet with a vacuum. I am more than willing to spend money in the game so they don't need to be so aggressive about taking the money. Costumes shouldn't cost $40 (I say 40 because you can't upload in $5 only $10), features that are core to the game shouldn't be locked behind a pay wall (energy management from the map with value packs, processing from bank with maid outfit, auto looting with pets, ect.). These flash sale are even worse since all they do is make you think a costume is here for a limtied amount of time as if they are not going to be back next year (on this on I mean that giving players only a week to buy an outfit is stupid as it punishes player who bought stuff before patches or days before the sale with no notice). The thing that kills me even more is how KR gets hands outs all the time and no one says anything, but heavens forbid if NA complains. I wonder how you can be consider the best sever if your getting helped all the time.

2. zhagsten

The $5-10 price is just to check you have a valid credit card. It's like that $1 transaction to check your bank, except Kakao being Kakao, they actually take the money.

They don't want a mass of players who never pay.

Sistra, TucoRamires, Parthin and 12 others like this.
  3. Vercinorix

Presumably for the same reason why some bars/nightclubs have cover charges and some do not... either way it is the same business model in the end for the ones that choose either option... provide a setting for socializing/entertainment and sell expensive food and drink (which is where they actually make their money from).

The B2P in BDO = the cover charge.

Factorial likes this.
  4. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

The flaw in your reasoning would be thinking that everyone wants to be as effective as possible or even should.

Besides, the entry fee in BDO does a rather good job at keep many abusers at bay.

Aelisah, Factorial and Prochilles like this.
  5. WinterMilla

They don't pay if they never play.

Except BDO isn't a Bar

The point was to show how to be as effective as possible not claiming that you wanted to be one. Then again we do keep gearing up to as effective as possible in PvE and PvP.

Even seen world chat or the hacker threads? The charge can't fix any of that.

easay9 likes this.
  6. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

You clearly haven't played any f2p game if you think BDO world chat is bad about hackers/RMT.

Similon and Aelisah like this.
  7. Drenoz

Thats not a flaw. Thats just logical.

8. WinterMilla

[​IMG]
    I know about other MMos have the same problem but that didnt stop people from doing the same in BDO

9. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

And your "logic" tells you most people plays MMOs as if it was their second job instead of doing it for fun ?

10. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

You clearly need to get some perspective then. You seem to imply that the amount of abuse BDO get is remotely comparable to games without any entree fee.

11. XLucaX

I feel like most players of BDO have never played actual Free MMOs.

Cuz I can tell you, the so many Free- MMOs ive played the problems people complain about in this game cannot even be close to the problems of those free to play mmos.

I still remember spending the first half hour of my game trying to block all spam chats, literally never finding a place to grind, never ever actually be able to talk to any other player because I have to spend another half hour trying to block the spammers and so much more.

12. WinterMilla

OK so are you trying to say BDO doesn't have any or are you trying to say it has a smaller amount because of?
    you made two different arguments

13. WinterMilla

But those games also had free trading so that was a bigger issue. Also BDO is my First pay2play MMO I put many years into the Free2play market and know all about the bot spam. Not like it doesn't happen in BDO as well. Also my point of this thread was asking if the developers ever made a comment why it went P2play for the western release.

14. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Just read and process my first post:

To help you get some perspective you clearly need, in 3 years of BDO I filtered maybe 4 different RMT companies that use public chats to advertise their services while in Revelation Onlive, I needed to filter that amount EVERY DAY.

You can dig early interviews where Daum explained their business model before release.

15. zhagsten

They don't pay if they play either, so not worth bothering.

You seem to forget that this very business model actually works very well. The average spending is high. Real F2P would certainly cost them more than it brings.

In the end I don't know why you care. Do you intend to create F2P accounts to multibox or whatever?
    As a player the real F2P crowd really doesn't interest me. Olvia chat is stupid enough.

Solitaire likes this.
  16. WinterMilla

But the abuser are still there. Hell two days ago I reported a hacker. If the threads about the hackers didn't get deleted so often I would be able to give you a list of them. The reason why they don't seller as much here is because trading items and money is impossible, so they sell boost promising you would make a certain amount. The cost on the front don't do nada thing.

Not like they need money anyways since off of just PC BDO they were able to keep it running for years before making other versions of the game. Letting more people in would mean we can a larger more active community.

easay9 likes this.
  17. Valdennath

The original intention of the B2P model was that Korea was P2W and the western audience was/is strongly against that. They than said the West release would be B2P and not P2W.

That was before the Guillie suit, the Artisans, the Kama buff, the Value Pack(which I am fine with as I like sub based the most, but the kama buff should just be rolled into the VP), costume selling, etc..

What it became was very different from their pre-launch declaration, but that is why there was an up front cost.

Sistra, Zelxski, Fateneko and 4 others like this.
  18. TwilightAngel

Do post this on all MMOS that are B2P or Sub?

Why does it matter if its B2P? Its a one time fee and its only 9.99 or 4.99 (not sure what the pricing is for EU) or if someone players during their get to x lvl and get a free account

Solitaire likes this.
  19. WinterMilla

Because no matter what price you set above free turns many people away from trying the game. I don't count events as free to play as its not free from the start till you quit.

easay9 likes this.
  20. TwilightAngel

You do know why F2P mmos do not normally last long or what a lot of the game is truly gated behind a paywall or has most of the game in the cash shop. B2P model does help a bit with some cost even if its a account here and there