1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is equalized gear not a thing for PVP?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Factorial, Nov 20, 2019.

?

Should gear be equalized when it comes PVP?

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. No

98 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. Something else

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

Just make a mode with and without equalized gear and have all of those modes ranked. Easy. Obviously Arena only. PvP outside of a controlled Arena should always be gear based true to the nature of BDOs design.

2. LithicForm

IS GW2 PvP really that good? Serious question cuz I been thinking about picking the game up

3. Rising_Chaos

Rising_Chaos Rising_Chaos Witch 8 EU

actually i wouldn't mind it for PvP only e.g. like this:
    - if you are below that point you get statwise scaled to e.g. TET Boss Armor & Weapons with TRI gold accs
    - those who are on that point or above (full TET or with PEN stuff) won't benefit from it, but keep their stats so that you still have a goal to get better
    - lower equipped players get at least a little better chance to defend themselves against those who are also at softcap or below because they get scaled the same

before someone complains again that stuff like that comes only from bad equipped players...
    even though i guess it's okay for 2,5y of casual playing
    upload_2019-11-21_16-10-30.png

Distaken likes this.
  4. MinMaid

MinMaid Guardian 62 NA

If the classes were actually balanced we could stop relying so much on ap/dp and stop people from crying " yOu'Re oVEr 28o Ap tHat's y u bEt mE"

Erroll likes this.
  5. Serendipity

Serendipity Syllabus Sorceress 62 EU

If they would just completely remove ap/dp brackets from PVP things would already be a lot more balanced.

AZzalor, Distaken and Foggen like this.
  6. DafuqYouLookinAt

Hmm. When it comes to equalized gear I'd only prefer it only in an arena. Kinda makes me miss some of my favorite games that I use to play...Blade&Soul, Dragon Nest and Dungeon Fighter Online. Can't remember if DFO had equalized pvp arena but I know the other two did.

I support the idea of skill favoring over gear, that's how it should be but there is also still that fine line of the power of the player's character and their achievements that shine through their skill too. We cannot forget that. I personally just feel like balancing gear in open world doesn't belong, guess I'm use to games that don't hold their player's hands with that...Still though, I do wish we had a more rounded system with pvp.

Some people wouldn't stand a chance playing a game that has open world pk+loot drop. Imagine playing a game like Eudemons Online and lose a battle outside of safe zone/town and dropping your items/gold out of your inventory. Rip your gear enhancing gems too! Game has PK/Outlaw leader boards and leader boards for people who hunt those outlaws down. Pretty fun but old af game and disgustingly p2w.

I wish we had something similar to B&S with pvp quests and achievements for killing x amount of mobs/players to level up your faction status. A feature like that would result in rearranging the flag method though because it would invite more people who enjoy PK. Their flag feature is swapping to faction gear.
    I'm starting to really miss dungeons and feeling like our classes play more of a role in a game. At least in B&S I could tank a boss for a server but the way the game works here in BDO it's different, we have roles in our classes but they don't really feel that dominant in specifics; it's difficult to compare games due to different mechanics/features and communities.

Distaken likes this.
  7. Kittyberry

Kittyberry Ranger 63 NA

The question in this thread is not well posed, because the thing is I'm 75/25 when we talk about equalized gear and the question poses an absolute scenario, in any case, taking the question as it is, my answer is no, I think equalized should be applied only in some specific scenarios, for example a competitive ranked game such as "3v3 - 2v2 or 1v1" to make the things less gear dependence and more "player skills", in any other case (Arsha, Red Battlefield, Nodewars...), your own gear should be used because you burn your brain for a reason hahaha.

Distaken likes this.
  8. Tiffyshade

You can get the 2nd best gear pretty easy and fast in gw2. The 5% more stuff is a bit more grinding mats and craft it or get a lucky drop but it could be done way faster then tri boss in bdo.
    In the pure pvp mode like 5v5 or others you don't need gear. You choose the stats and all have the same level. It's not only skill based. It has more to do with Meta. Play condition mirage and you're good to go. A nekromancer don't get much pvp love. But it is Meta in WvW a huge 3 party pvp with xvxvx up to 60 peops in one team I quitted pve In gw2 and come only back for my guild raids. It's free so you can try but without the 2 add-ons you can't play the never professions which is like an additional skill tree like succession but the new stuff is usually better the normal while succession seems the opposite.

Make several RBF versions with different gear limits and change the scaling. A 257 ap Musa kill you while a dk below 269 is like a mosquito. Annoying but not deathly

9. Foggen

Foggen Musa 64 NA

Equalized gear really would obliterate progression in this game, given how PvP is the only real endgame content of value. T1 node wars are capped (to limited success) and I can tell you that having participated in those they really do kill the desire to push forward on gains.

The brackets undid the extremely strong sense of diminishing returns built into the enhancement system, possibly extending the longevity of the game's progression and completely ruining PvP balance, presumably to give incentive to costume melters to open their wallets for PEN clicks.

Distaken likes this.
  10. Black Cfap

Don't think equalised gear fits the game, and even GW2 only uses it for structured(arena) PvP. WvWvW uses the normal PvE gear.

But they could remove the additional renown bonuses that completely destroy any sense of balance. So that better geared players will still have a advantage but not as decisive and total. Maybe they could also try to streamline the enhancing process, without reducing the time and silver requirements but in terms of ergonomics and functionality.

- Remove renown bonuses.

- Streamline enhancing.

- Come back to reality. It's never going to happen. They are literally monetizing heavily on gear and enhancing. Making gear disparity as great as possible and the advantages of better gear as undeniable as fried chicken is part of the money making system.

11. Kittyberry

Kittyberry Ranger 63 NA

When you say "renown", you mean "AP brackets"?

12. Serendipity

Serendipity Syllabus Sorceress 62 EU

Exactly. I think for PVE the brackets are fine but for PVP they should have no effect or should not have such an insane scaling.

Distaken and Blitzball like this.
  13. Distaken

Distaken Warrior 62 NA

Thats exactly it, AP brackets make AP scale too hard especially for group PvP and getting PEN caphrasd armors makes you crazily tanky on some classes with all the hidden stats and stuff. BDO seems to be balanced best around fights no bigger than 10v10 and no smaller than 3v3 with gearscore at around softcap.

14. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

well, tbh reaching 269 is fairly easy now with bartali logs, lvl61 bonus, deve journal and caphras for weapons... this is where scaling of ap brackets starts dropping.

there, i even halfassed a build with cheapo stuff to show u how ez is to make a 269/324 character these days. yes there are better options for more money on some slots (duh) but hey, that just proves how easy is to push above it as noone is considering capotias endgame gear and there are better choices for some other stuff as well.

prices on jewleries have dropped these days so this is really not that expensive to make. only "pricey" item on that thing is tet ogre.

https://bdoplanner.com/ScreamingPunisherBlade

#54 WhySoSeeryus, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  15. Distaken

Distaken Warrior 62 NA

Thats true but there is still way too much damage output, way more than is necessary. Imo I think they should remove AP brackets, remove special attack evasion, and then make down attack modifier higher. Thats the main thing I can see that would balance the most amount of areas dropping as few plates as possible. It means in group PvP you wont instantly die, it means in 1v1 as long as you CC and combo your opponent you can kill them, in 1vX if you CC your opponents its possible to win, it means archers, witches and wizards won't dominate the battlefield killing everyone from a range, it means ultibombs aren't as devastating, the only other thing theyd need to do is replace iframes on some classes with super armor and maybe remove some super armor from heavily protected classes like striker and mystic. Theyd also probably need to provide some buffs to non grab classes and casters so they wouldn't take a hit in 1v1.

#55 Distaken, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  16. Foggen

Foggen Musa 64 NA

If they removed special attack evasion that would defeat the entire value of Garmoth's Heart.

17. Chaos Ronin

Chaos Ronin RyunokoDynasty Mystic 61 NA

There is only a one shot meta because people built to be one shotted. Have you ever noticed how people say such things as "Evasion is op and needs nerf"? That's because they CAN'T one shot that type of build because they don't build to counter it. Or noticed how people cry that DR is useless and does nothing? Also, because people don't actually build to use DR as their main stat. If we were to be forced to have equalized gear in pvp the class "Balance" (which is actually more balanced now than it ever has been) would be even worse as different classes scale differently with the one dimensional stat everyone mindlessly chooses to base their entire game build on... AP.

The only way what you are suggesting could ever work the way you seem to want it to is if we all played the exact same class and all played the exact same build.

Nice idea but no thanks, I hate the thought of every class being essentially the exact same apart from a different skin. If i and I'm sure 90% of the player base wanted that we would be playing Tekken.

Factorial and Serendipity like this.
  18. Cascaden

"Why is equalized gear not a thing for PVP?"

Because cash sop sales! :D

19. Hr1s7i

Let me ask this question - if pvp becomes an equalized thing, what would be the point of maxing out gear? Think about it real hard before you asnwer.

The mmo community operates with the term "sandbox" when it comes to games such as L2, BDO and the like. Your defitinion is not important.

AZzalor and Chaos Ronin like this.
  20. Loli lover

I agree with equal pvp when it comes to events or tournaments but overall that makes no sense...