1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is griefing being rewarded?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by wehga, Feb 8, 2018.

?

Do you want the Karma system to be reworked again?

1. Yes

211 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. No

131 vote(s)
    38.3%
  1. wehga

TLDR: Guildless Ninja mastered the griefing/karmabombing mechanics and was able to win the spot

So I'm just amazed how PA doesn't do anything against karmabombing/griefing.and even rewards that behaviour?

Here is what happened (maybe someone learns some new mechanisms from my bad experience):
    - Guildless Ninja in Ghillie Costume (what else could it have been huh? :D) comes to my spot at jungle rotation (Pirates island) and griefs me for straight 10 minutes.
    - I PK him once and get this reply: "Don't even try, just change the channel"
    - I PK him until I'm out of Karma
    - We both keep grinding until he actually finds my horse (that I placed there so I can stay at the spot for a much longer period)
    - Now here is the thing: He challenged me to a duel and I (thinking "oh cool maybe he will leave after I won that duel") accepted it... little did I know he only challenged me so he can kill my horse (which means I would have to go back to the next stable keeper in Velia or Epheria)
    - I then revived my horse with that new pearl shop item - He griefed me for another 20 minutes
    - I found his horse and figured I might place mine there as well since no mob could have reached that spot (meaning he can't pull a mob to the horse)
    - I went on my horse and rode towards his horse
    - Again here's the thing: Little did I know he was actually able to kill my horse again while I am on my Horse
    = Now I am out of Karma and have no horse on the island to stash my items (I'll just wait for the daily reset and revive it again)
    Before someone asks: I've spent the last 5 hours on this channel and on this very spot and I just principally disagree in even rewarding that kind of behaviour by changing a channel; and I obviously will not do the same mistake again with my horse :p
    Fun fact: During the whole time we were chatting how I just waste my time trying to defend my spot since he's an expert in griefing/karmabombing and that it never had worked out for anyone to try fight him... The whole incident took maybe 1 hour

PA please change Karma/Horse PK system? It shouldn't even be a thing that someone can get a spot in such a rude manner! Thank you

#1 wehga, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Hekki, Delolith, SexGawdTy and 3 others like this.
  2. 2Cents

PA can fix the game, but they can't fix stupid.

Mousatos, Rahnxah, Vamathi and 11 others like this.
  3. Jey

Jey Valkyrie 62 EU

art-obama-laughing-420x0.jpg

4. Redarion

The sad part is that this would go right over the OP's head. Too advanced.

5. wehga

Why don't you guys enlighten me then? What did I do wrong except enabling him to kill my horse?
    How can I myself prevent that kind of behaviour? Or: How can I still contest the spot in a proper manner without losing a substantial amount of my grinding income for that duration? If you explain one of those things since you understand it so well, I'll edit my first post and put the advice there so everybody might gain some knowledge from this! =) Ty in advance!

6. TFU3

TFU3 TFU3 Kunoichi 61 EU

why PK if you know he wont back off?

Rahnxah, Cloudaye, Balmafra and 9 others like this.
  7. 2Cents

Everything. Literally, everything.

Rahnxah and Mirajane like this.
  8. MightyMidgit

MightyMidgit Ranger NA

I'll be honest with you and say that most of what you get from the forums here are people saying that it's all your fault and that the other person did nothing wrong, that you had the choice to flag or not flag and chose to lose karma. You will get blasted one-sided by forum crusaders that say karmabombing is not a thing, that you were in fact the one griefing the poor soul who just wanted to grind too. You were the fool who put this on yourself.

All those people are blindly ignorant to the real problem that people DO use the karma mechanic to grief people out of spots, and they do it on purpose without the desire to share the spot or be civil about it. And these true griefers know they are immune to any repercussions because the laws of the game are in their favor. They are the predators and people like you who are willing to defend your grind are the prey.

And all this conflict is a result of the real issue that grinding in this game is not designed to handle the number of players who play it. This game has this stupid design that you need to 1-shot as many mobs as fast as possible in order to get good exp, and there just aren't enough mobs in grinding areas to handle this. Add to this the fact that there is not enough incentive to party up (oftentimes you get less exp than solo AND less drops) and you have people competing for limited grind spots. Gyfin is an example of grinding done right!

There are three simple ways to fix this:
    • Give better party benefits.
    • Decrease mob respawn timers to half their current rate or less so that farming rotations decrease in size allowing more people per grind spot.
    • Double or triple all mob HP and increase exp/drops/rates given from those mobs proportionally.
    DO THESE THREE THINGS AND GUARANTEED YOU WILL HAVE LESS FIGHTING AND GRIEFING OVER GRIND SPOTS!

As for your horse, it's funny because that was all on you and your own ignorance. Good learning experience.

#8 MightyMidgit, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  9. Nyanpi

If you are too scared to go red or play on the PvP channel you don't deserve to keep a grindspot.

Rahnxah, Xero.Exe, Andaro and 4 others like this.
  10. Junyoung

Junyoung Hwall Ranger 61

The problem is entitlement.

"Before someone asks: I've spent the last 5 hours on this channel and on this very spot and I just principally disagree in even rewarding that kind of behavior by changing a channel."

Whether you spent 1 second or 1 year at the spot, it's not yours. It's anyone's and everyone's spot. There is nothing that makes it yours, and there is nothing that makes it theirs. You either hop channels or compromise efficiency. He is being just as inefficient as you by staying there too. The person who "wins" is the person who didn't hop channels.

I guess a better karma system would be to remove karma loss when both parties engage in a fight, or to add a CD timer that doubles in time each death. (20s, 40s, 80s, 160s, etc..).

I wonder how you guys would have survived back when channels didn't exist. :D

3amclub, Toq, Mana_Mafia and 15 others like this.
  11. Ravare

Didn't try to switch channels?

12. wehga

Now thats a post I can get behind :) I totally agree with it (especially the last sentence hihi)!

Ouroboruos, Kasu and Xero.Exe like this.
  13. wehga

I'm not saying that it was my spot because I stayed there for this long, I just wanted to give a bit more information why in the end I did stay on that channel to try to fight this behaviour!
    And with this post I don't really intend to complain I just wanted to highlight this very topic "karmasystem" again since I haven't read about it in a while.
    I like your suggestion with the CD timer! Ty! They could also let the game detect a "karmabomber" (e.g. 5x Deaths to the same person in a timeframe of 20 Minutes) and give the bomber some kind of penalty (the CD timer as you mentioned)

14. Blacksheep

Blacksheep 60 EU

I would give him better gear after 5 deads, so he have at least the chance to faceroll you.

Jokes beside, just dont pvp if you grind.

15. MightyMidgit

MightyMidgit Ranger NA

Penalizing either side is not a solution. Anytime a penalty is added, someone will find a way to exploit it. For example, if a system was added to detect a player who dies to another within a period of time, you could have a player purposely hunt someone down to give them that penalty.

A solution needs to be something that gives benefits to both sides.

flukeSG2 and wehga like this.
  16. Redarion

Simple: Out grind him. Force him to flag then own him like a pair of shoes then walk all over him.

17. Otrsor

Otrsor Sorceress 63 EU

First talk, maybe ask for duel, if you see he is not gonna accept giving you a chance to get the spot then you can try to kill him once. He comes back? kill him again. He comes back? Swap channel, hope there is no one or the guy in next channel is more respectful and gives you a chance to actually win the spot with a duel or something.

Wasting all your karma is not ever gonna help you at all in any way, being red is of no use, they can still grief you and then, easier.

You cannot win the spot if they plan to keep griefing, dont even try to, its pointless.

You can make it so no one actually gets the spot and both of you waste time but welp, its not worth it.

Its that simple and sad, if theres an unrespectful retard just leave the spot, if he has a clan try to talk to an officer or the guild leader about that guy, always bring flares.

18. 2Cents

Well you could do something more important like question why customers are put through this in the first place. You could join in on the forums voicing your concerns about HOW THIS NOT HOW YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME.

And help bring light to the fact it could easily be changed by the developers.

19. Columba

Why is it that many of us NEVER have this problem? Lol....and,,..LEARN TO SHARE(TM)!

Cloudaye, Azriael, Andaro and 4 others like this.
  20. AlnilamE

By not giving him what he wants. The minute he declared to you that he was going to annoy you until you were red was the minute you should have pretended he wasn't there anymore and gone about your business no matter what he did after that.

Because behaviour that gets rewarded gets repeated. It's that simple.

If their plan is that you will kill them until you are red and then you will leave, then don't play their game. Keep grinding like they aren't there. They are going to throw a fit. They might try to outgrind you. They are going to get frustrated and throw a tantrum. You keep acting like they don't exist anymore and keep going.