1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why pay to win?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by easypr0, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Andaro

Ambassador

if we're going to continue these topics in bulk I mean at least include some educational material on WHY games have these particular types of business models and to that point here is a fantastic little video that is worth of watch

Naho likes this.
  2. Hellsoul44

Also educational imagine defending multi-billion corporations without getting payed .. that's next level 4head right there:D

3. Andaro

Ambassador

The funnier part is that gamers think this is something new and only applies to the gaming industry.
    Retailers have been doing this to the public for decades; and ...we're just now fussing about it ? lol

And yes I have seen that video. It hits on a few keynotes, but it was editorially *designed* to highlight only the negative aspects criminalizing the industry in the minds of the anti-lootbox generation, and does absolutely nothing to educate the public on what its like to work in the industry and the various models. It spinwraps manipulative marketing strategies pretty well, but the dude acts like he's blowing the whistle on some magic curtain he just discovered, when all that has been used by businesses in all industries since the dawn of capitalism.

No one is defending these strategies. They are what they are, and will always be that way. You can no more change them anymore than you can fix political corruptness.

At the end of the day, when all the hogwash has drained away, folks are going to have to simply suck it up, learn to be more responsible, vote with your wallet, and take responsibility for their own actions instead of trying to con them off on the tactics used to suck them in. Just like folks are going to have to learn how to have a conversation with someone without immediately resulting to insults and punches just because they are sitting behind a computer screen and think what they say and do across a network has no real meaning or consequences.

Tldr, no one twisted your arm to make you do what you do no matter how many flashy signs they put on it. You and only you made the choice(s) to do what you do, and that is no ones fault but your own.

Me? Personally? I am a grown adult and make my own decisions. I enjoy gaming as a hobby and have no qualms about investing in my hobby when and how I choose to. The companies get my money when they offer me something I find value in, otherwise they have to try harder. *shrugs*

#543 Andaro, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  4. Lord_Xenon

The best way to 'fight' those models is to educate everyone what is possible by ingame means and how to achieve it and either creating or supporting ideas to improve/enable the alternatives to such things. I don't think that I read anything worthwhile in the suggestion or support of said from the Q.Q here except the shoppromotion they do.

5. Boink

I been saying this for a long time now. Every industry is designed to create the product (from ideas, political agendas, food, clothing you name it), and the "convenience" to access it at a price. The Food Industry is one of the biggest culprits, billion dollar industries like Mc Donalds uses the most primitive ways to make money. The brain craves protein, salt and sugar. Sugar is the one most addictive product in the world. Most of their product that they serve contains these ingredients.

News Corporations do it too. Turn on the T.V. and look someone agrees with one's political narratives or ideals. Easy "conveniences". That's why they made this "war" between Republicans and Democrats. It's easy to divide and make money out off it.

I know how corporations work, sadly I work for one. The things we do I feel is downright illegal. But according to business and/or corporate laws it's legal. Remember the time when Tobacco industries target kids in their commercials. Yes that was a long time ago. They understand that targeting kids is easy. Most kids don't have a fully-matured brain. With that said this game can be terrifyingly addictive I know some adults dump in thousands of dollars in this game because they can't stop. This game doesn't have a "mature" rating.

As for other underlying issues of pay - to - win. Let's face the harsh reality this game like every other product and/or ideas been exploited by corporations, businesses and individuals that wants their respective target audience to PAY to WIN.