1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why refusing duel for spot is perceived so negatively?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Preslavv, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Preslavv

I am scratching my head over this for a while.

The scenario usually goes like this:
    I am grinding, someone comes, starts griefing and wrotes "duel for spot". I either ignore or refuse duel and continue with grinding. Then he goes alt+c, or starts insulting me that I am trash, pu.s.s.y, etc, (put whaterever insults you want). So it usually ends with him pking me (but then i return and continue to grind) or after a while he goes off pissed and swearing that I refused duel.

Why its like this? Is somewhere written that I must accept duels,? Well, of course when I want to grind and dont know how geared he is, a possible loss in duel might cause me to leave the spot, so when i have boosts on, I dont want to lose duels. But thats normal, no? (Another thing, a while ago happens to me that I inadvertently accepted such duel, but he was in party and while we were dueling, the other guy killed our camels. So thats also why I am hesitant to accept duels.)

So when he wants the spot so badly, why is he not going to another spot or server? Or is it because he is afraid going red, and win the spot in duel is the safe and easy way? Hence when I refuse, he is pissed because he must go the "hard" way to win the spot, right?

It happened so much times that I want to know how these guys are thinking when acting like that and how community thinks about this.

sNova, Fearless V, Briory and 21 others like this.
  2. Dreadhood

Dreadhood Musa 61 EU

I honestly do not care, spots do not belong to anyone, so i just grind, if someone pk's me, i just come back until my boosts/goals are done.
    That person could simply ask to party up instead of being a selfish prick.

sNova, Nighteye, Tiresias and 40 others like this.
  3. Reywhisper

You two must be new here.

BDO player base degenerate over time, enclosed in their tiny little words, where the "stronger" character has rights to any spot and if they murder you and you come back, they consider it almost criminal behaviour, as you are "karma bomber"-

The simple fact they have to bear consequences for their actions becuase negtive karma brings up the risks is not being considered game mechanic to prevent PK but merely an annoyance. And people who get killed over and over repeatedly are not victims in this degeneradted universe but actually considered bullies.

Every single time it goes like this: You grind, PK comes, kills you. You hear soemthing like "sput teken". You come back, get killed again "nub". You come back, get killed once more "omg karma bomber". You come back again "leave pls, leave me farm", Then PK leaves, cursing and moaning at you, having karma for being a selfish player kilelr and goes whinning on forum.

Usually at this point, your guild get declaration of war from the offender. Best thing to do now is ask your GM for protection - meaning they still get karma if they pk you.

Satya, Kaelearn, Sizer and 18 others like this.
  4. Mettworscht

How exactly did he grief you? Did he walk to your precious spot and killed a monster? :O
    Ye would do that too and yes u are a karmabober congrats for being an *******
    ?
    1. Nobody wants to go red for obvious reasons
    2.Pking someone while he is grinding is actually the safe and easy way. Dueling is actually the hard and honest way to get a spot.
    Well, thanks to pearl abyss there is no actual system of "who gets the spot" its either you outgrind the enemy, go red, or try to use the inofficial method of dueling. I actually prefer to get my enemy low and throw them into a group of mobs if they have low gear. U dont lose much karma and they lose crystals and exp.
    Why on earth would i group with someone? There is no incentiv of grouping up with someone at a grind spot except some high end spots

Distaken, Winterklinge, Gotti and 3 others like this.
  5. Spartakatz

Simple answer, because people are being douchebags. They are too afraid to PK someone with their 270 AP at the 100+ AP spot, so they try to trick someone into dueling, knowing they will probably win and "have the right" for the spot lol.

Just ignore them, tell them nicely to go to Arsha server if they want "strongest gets spot" mechanic.

Yuti, Vorkrunne, gramcle99 and 10 others like this.
  6. YamikunOkami

YamikunOkami Lahn 62 NA

If someone kills you enough times to assert dominance, the polite thing to do is leave. If they are trash talking, then that sucks. Usually if I want a spot I will walk up and ask for a duel, if I get ignored I flag and kill them. If I get low Karma I get them killed by mobs. If someone comes into my spot and kills me, I leave. Simple as that.

Ghoast_, Ungvi, Kekipi and 17 others like this.
  7. Mettworscht

They are actually nice and try to be fair. If i would just pk you or get you low and throw you into the mobs that would actually be a douchebag move.
    I mean its stupid to blame the players. Its PAs fault for buffing "100 AP " spots and not implementing any good pvp system to solve this "muhhh precious grind spot " drama.
    Wow an actual decent human being playing bdo. :O

Ghoast_, Karma555, TheReason and 2 others like this.
  8. Spartakatz

Mana_Mafia, Stillwaters and Rasta667 like this.
  9. YamikunOkami

YamikunOkami Lahn 62 NA

Honestly, given your join date I'm surprised you still haven't a clue how it works yet. Yes it sucks to die when you're in the zone grinding, and you've popped your 200% buff. Just ask them to leave, and give them the timer on your buff. IF They do not leave, then you simply leave. Most people aren't animals. But if you're karma bombing, you've wasted your time, and the other persons time, and put them at risk of losing precious gear/crystals/exp.

10. Solsi

Dunno, because it's way nicer to ask for a duel, instead of just flagging up and ganking someone from behind that's busy with mobs.

But I guess it's because most people asking for duel, mainly does it when they know the odds are in their favor. They know their class is better for 1v1 or they think they have gear advantage. They wouldn't ask for duel, if they feel it's a 90% chance they'll loose lol.

Also PvE carebears hates dueling requests, because they wanna avoid PvP altogether.

New players hates dueling for spot, because they know they'll loose.

Hardcore PvP players thinks it's for pussies. Flag up or gtfo my spot.

MENT and Mana_Mafia like this.
  11. Someone told me to duel with my weak alt but I refused, and they killed me, told me that I was a newbie but acted like that. So I switched to my main and kicked them to jail, I'm sorry for not being in a guild or having a title : (

Kaelearn, bigwigg, Sizer and 4 others like this.
  12. YamikunOkami

YamikunOkami Lahn 62 NA

I was flagging on a dude at crescents and bringing him to low hp and running off. I could kill him easily, but didn't want to be jailed since his guildies were around. He took off gear so I one shotted him and his guildies sent me to jail. The system is so stupid.

Mana_Mafia and Stillwaters like this.
  13. Rayin

I usually don't go in spots if are taken, but if others come i usually accept the duel. If i loose i leave, if i don't i stay hoping that the person might follow the "agreement" we made prior the duel, if i dueled too many people during 20 minute i simply refuse because something it's annoying even the other way around.

But i can't honestly give you any more detailed feedback because i barely grind nowadays since i don't like grinding in this game, it's really boring and unchallenging for me. What i know is that the karma system is broken and doesn't discourage anyone from being a jèrk in a way or another one.

If i want to harass you i can do it even flagging myself, hitting you, running away and do so on and so forth. If i want i can karmabomb you. If i want i can deny the agreement made after you won the duel and try to overgrind you.
    If i want i can just sit there being annoying, going counter-clockwise and cleaning bits of the rotation just to mess up with you.
    If i want i can kill you over and over again after i flag myself, but this one is really discouraged since if i go red i'm the one who's going to loose something.

Unfortunately, this game has been broken beyond salvation by its developers and they can't even be arsed to adjust things in a way that might discourage griefing in any form.

Kadmilos, Fearless V and Joungf like this.
  14. Lee Ryu

They should just remove jail and make ppl only lose silver on negative karma death. 3-4mill/death from inv or storage if no money in storage teleport to town. Minus 500k silver for the persistent people who come back everytime thinking karmabombing is the best way to punish ppl.

Easy fix. If you want to keep your spot bring more people.

Also, if you die repeatedly, you are not grinding so why keep griefing ?
    Punishing people your way when the punishment is not proportionate to their crimes is also why people are complaining about karmabombers. Because being red has so many more impact on their gameplay while karmabombers just take pleasure in punishing people because they know of the consequences of being red and just waste 10min doing their daily "good" deed.
    Last but not least, there is something called communication. People who have 200% buffs on can say it in the chat. Usually people will wait or switch channel because the majority understand that a 200% is something important and they wouldn't want theirs to be griefed.

Diazine and Stillwaters like this.
  15. Findubar

just type: lol no. and continue grinding. if he had any balls he would have attacked you without asking for anything. most of the time they leave, if they don`t leave karmabomb them or grief them. they will leave anyway.
    or: party or leave..whatever you want

16. Casty

anyone that comes to me asking to duel for spot, I dec them immediately, or if i cant like usual greifers, I tell them to dec me. I have no faith that these greifers will leave after i beat them in a duel.

17. RoakOriginal

Well... They should be either fast enough to outgrind you (in which case you are forced to leave since you wont get any money by racing against them), or strong enough to not give a crap about negative karma (since they can kick everyones ass if they try to compete for spot).

If they are neither of those 2, they are just whiny ******* with no tools to force you from spot and they are tryin to cry their way in.

Fearless V, Sizer and Stillwaters like this.
  18. Columba

I ignore duel requests. If I am minding my own business, not interrupting others’ rotations, I see no reason to duel. I just keep grinding. If they choose to flag, then I fight as well as I can. However, I see no reason to leave if I die.

CandyCat, Sizer, Stillwaters and 6 others like this.
  19. Findubar

but but...its not honorrobru...its a shamefur dispray!!! -average crybear

20. HooFlungDung

Karma bombing isn't real.

Sizer, Rasta667, Synnamon and 2 others like this.