1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will new "offensive" words get us banned and when?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Evensin, Aug 31, 2017.

1. CutiePieOchida

Also hate to tell you but you are wrong on cyber bulling. You are parts of it right but the question I asked makes you wrong. I asked do you fully know what it is. You tried to answer but no. Also I said bad mouth not cussing for the last part. So wrong on two counts. Thanks though.

Columba likes this.
  2. Luxea

Luxea Ranger 63

I have already done that many times in my 10+ years of MMORPG gaming.

Here's why I do: When I get a message from someone, I do not automatically respect the speaker, even if they stood before me. To me, most people are irrelevant to my goals in life - the same goes for their opinion of me. So why should I be offended by what they have to say? It's just soundwaves in the air or patterns on a computer screen. They don't pay my paycheck. They don't pay my game subscription in the case of subcription games. They are likely not my raid leader on WoW, or my FC leader on FF14, or the leader of my L2 clan either. They mean nothing to me - and the same goes for their words.

I love my loved ones, mind you. But I don't need to defend them from patterns in nature or on a PC screen that means nothing; my loved ones aren't so fragile so I probably shouldn't view them condescendingly as being so frail. Nevermind that by defending verbally, I'm just feeding the trolls who think I give 2 cents about the words they say - which I don't.

Anyway, I hope that has enlightened you of my viewpoint a little, but I would not be surprised if you do not understand or do not agree. If you have anything further to disagree with me on, then it is probably unlikely that I will ever have you fully understand what I am trying to say. Since it does not logically benefit me to make efforts to explain further, I will leave this discussion. I've stated my views as an INTJ and as a nihilist.

3. Silsti

If you want to be pedantic go ahead, your post is as empty as it gets. As is your logic.

4. CutiePieOchida

Maybe you should laugh it off and just walk away. Yet you are now missing the point of the thread and I'm still on topic. It's not about how you take things into consideration or someone else with no heart. It's about banning people who use inappropriate language, yet I'm saying only if they overdue it. Also anyone is aloud to come to this game and play it. So we aren't just talking about you but everyone. Some might say who cares, just might think saying hi is harassment. But there are some accounts that are too much and shouldn't be pushed that far IN A GAME. Also I'm middle ground since people should not be in situations they can't handle. But some people, for example, have a all of a sudden break down, and could hurt themselves or others.

5. Columba

The are legally liable if they DON'T ban people who do this. If someone takes it seriously and commits suicide, no one is going to go after the parents, lol. They will go after the bully AND the company that allowed it. The downsides are too high to permit this kind of crap. Welcome to the real world, son.

CutiePieOchida likes this.
  6. Cosmic Soul

If it is happening those, users are likely doing it to the point beyond any mentally healthy way. Lets be honest the majority of people who post getting banned in games only tell half the story, yes some comapnies have banned people over very stupid things, but in a pvp/pve game things are bound to get toxic and maybe with the recent pvp server people are not responding well, just look at the drama in these boards its absurd, you act like a child your going to get treated like one and either be grounded for a few days or forever its up to you, you cannot blame anyone for weeding out toxic drama when its stirred up constantly.

I do not think anyone should be banned for language in general though but they should not abuse the crap out of it to.

Trolling is way out of hand these days to in mmorpgs.

#86 Cosmic Soul, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  7. Cosmic Soul

Listen I totally agree with you but the issue is it gets out of hand and sometimes it can get really annoying and even overwhelming especially when there are 5 trolls in the same chat, or people who just cannot think for themselves and jump on the innocent like we often see in chats these days. But yea your right their opinions do not matter most peoples opinions are bad anyways sorry but its true and their opinion of you or me is not going to matter to people like us because we do not value people, especially those who are disrespectful to begin with.

8. CutiePieOchida

Amazingly nobody thought of how people are living. Let's take a subject like race. If someone grew up in a racist area, there are tons in the NA. Yet some families are unable to just pack their stuff and move cause they don't have the funds but that could mean the child has to suffer from that one way or another. Might not be able to go outside and play cause he is being shouted by people who doesn't like his race all the time and too low on cash to move out of that area. So they might decide to play games when they are free to get away from the real life problems. From being hit, yelled at, and so on. Tried to tell people but those people might blew him off cause of his race and it's nearly impossible to find help. So they play games and all of a sudden someone might find out cause they trusted them but turned to be hated and hears the same words again in a game, making escape from it impossible. Also might not be the first or second maybe the third and they happen to react to it. Hurting others and themselves. So was it their fault that they were forced to hear all of that and lead to a breaking point? Or was it the ones who continued to push them deeper and deeper? I'm not saying everyone should be banned for cussing or something but it depends on the situation. I say like a 24 hour ban is enough and it should increase to a week, then a month then perma ban.

9. Nyhver

no we need horse breeders and more players to contribute to this game so it bolsters population wtf

next time let me know and ill rough up that goomba for you

his horse ofc i wouldn't lay a hand on him

plus im a low geared man so i can only probably kill his horse

if his horse is geared it's going to be awhile

10. CarlaDream

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?pages/Rules/

maybe?

eitheldin and Columba like this.
  11. Silsti

And thus you cater to the absolute lowest common denominator with a top-down censorship system despite the brutally effective tools that everyone is given to censor their very own experience in the game. As for how far the harassment can go, there's some actual issues like doxxing which is most certainly bannable. Slurs are less than skin deep.
    That would only mean the legal system is beyond flawed in this case considering they essentially abandoned a minor unable to use the foolproof tools provided. Then again I wouldn't expect much from the law in such nebulous matters. Haw haw "real world" old man.
    Beautifully crafted melodrama. Again, the tools provided can spare one such experience as long as they have the base foresight to use them. Only situations that involve irrevocable data dumping such as blackmail through nudes and doxxing are TRULY bannable.

All in all, restricting freedom of speech for the masses while individuals have the choice to be selectively deaf is wrong in more than one ways.

To be clear; I'd understand if companies resorted to censorship just so they fit the shoddily made laws about it, noone wants to deal with that kind of nonsense, however they should do so in the lightest way possible to avoid the plummet in quality inclusiveness entails.

12. 2cute2shoot

Quite honestly, anyone that gets offended over swear words, aka letters on their screen and gets angry over it, should seek a psychotherapist.

I s2g you dont find these kind of people at jobs where you have to put in actual physical labor for more than 5minutes. Further showing that all these snowflakes that get offended over the smallest words are sissies and dramaqueens that need to move out of moms basement and get over their daddy issues.

13. Ravare

How about...................not using mildly offensive words?

I mean............last time I checked........no one is forcing anyone to say these things.

Best practice I have employed while playing games MMO's for 17 years................."don't say stupid ****, don't get in trouble"

14. 2cute2shoot

"I have nothing to hide i dont mind if the government spies on me"

15. Ravare

Umm.........what?

16. 2cute2shoot

Just because it doesnt concern you doesnt mean that its right.
    This is the first game where I saw someone getting banned for saying the word "retard" ingame.

17. Ravare

And how was the word used?

Was the person spamming it? Were they banned only for simply writing the word "retard" and were reported and banned? See there are a lot of ways to interpret what you are stating because we do not have the chat logs to see how that wording was used.

It really is not that hard of a concept to understand. Communication is partly the words you use, but also the "context" of how you use it matters as well.

I understand its a game and people of all ages and backgrounds play video games. But I look at it from the point of view like when I am at work. At work, we all have our own personal views and opinions. But there is a line that is drawn over what is talked about and in what context.

Why? Because we have to work in an environment together. Which means there are social rules that we "should" adhere to in order to keep the environment working for the majority of people. Just because someone is upset, wants to use certain words or pick an argument with someone. Like it or not, you are part of a community now and in order for that community to continue to thrive in a somewhat positive motion, there have to be some barriers to how far things can be allowed to happen.

Is the word "retard" a bad word? Not really by most people's standards in this society.

Is the word "retard" an offensive word? Yes it is to some people.

Sure you can take the side of "well that's their problem". But by you being part of a community that has the option to report you for harassment or offensive words (by agreeing to the ToS) you accept that you are held to those rules as well.

To me, its being mature and understanding what environment you are in. If you are amongst friends or close guild mates, then free game, that is your own personal community do as you wish. But once your communication goes out to the rest of the community to see, now you are held to other rules. It's really not that hard to avoid these issues.

18. zhagsten

Great, so you agree that insults have to go, even if they don't do anything to you.

19. LogicaI

This is the result of the current generation And the failure of the parents that raised them. Mixed with the 24 hour news cycle and over sensitivity training being taught in schools.

Words can't hurt you. If you aren't emotionally unstable.

If you are a child that is too immature to handle words and opinions then you can use the block function and enjoy your Safe Space

That is all.

Silsti likes this.
  20. Ravare

Funny that you are criticizing the "current generation" and the "24 hour news cycle".

But you are using the exact same language and terminology that has only become very popular within the last year in the media.

So who exactly are the ones being influenced again? Seems this new age of "I can say what I want when I want, if you got a problem then leave" attitude is what the real issue is. Societies and communities cannot thrive when people have this kind of mindset