1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With the new Archer class coming out...what becomes of us?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by jaygrae, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Gudendrunk

what about striker replacing every other frontline class

2. 6footgeeks

only way ill play male ranger is if he can safely annihalate witchards in node wars. till then ill stick to witch and mistake for nude wars :P

3. Netreiam

You do know it has a 25% slow for 10s already right?

Absolute: Evasive Explosion Shot

Also stiff is 0.7 of a CC so you can do it and still get two hard CCs in. There were plenty of times I've used CftS with the EES extension to land behind someone and get a stiff off that I then caught them with breezy blade with before CC changes, I haven't tested it yet, but maybe trying to go into BG from the stiff might work?

The point is that, you use the skill when they are in melee range as a kind of counter attack to any unprotected CC they use. However, considering how fast classes can gap close the 12s CD is the real limitation. I think most rangers would want around a 6s CD as a fair way to buff the skill.

I agree with everything you say to an extent, the problem is that until high gear it is usually better to just go melee, land a grab, and 2 shot them with regeneration + tremble (personally I use wailing wind before either of those for the -20 DP + crit buff addon, but vs most ppl the former two usually kills them easily)

Its not until you get enough AP to pressure blocks that ranged playstyle becomes more viable, it is VERY easy to run out of stamina if you're constantly kiting and once that happens you're dead and the entire time most people are not dumb enough to use any kind of unprotected movement that would actually lead to them getting CCed by Fury arrow, blasting gust, or Tearing shot.

#63 Netreiam, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  4. Seolhyun

You are correct and this is why Ranger is a terrible class for most players (especially new). Hard to play and needs softcap+ AP to get access to consistent ranged oneshots.

My only gripe is that the Rangers that aren’t at this gear and skill level will often make statements that are completely false regarding our ranged play. It’s funny to see statements like DK/Witch is a better ranged class when they themselves probably can’t even tell you how to setup a PW Air Attack. It’s exhausting to see this ignorance.

#64 Seolhyun, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Spartakatz likes this.
  5. Rysingmoon

But, this is not a Rabam skill which inflicts the KD. It's Q cancel, just with a preceding Rabam.

LOL I dont wait, of course! The question was rather, whether you need speed buffs to get a better chance for an air attack. In my experience (yours may differ), with just 5 Attack speed, it seems difficult to land an Air attack. I suspect, that this timing is so critical that different hardware, ping and servers may make a difference. Getting an air attack after a successful KD was never guaranteed nor easy. I always suspected, my subsequent PW was too late. Or, there is something else going on.

Also, I was assuming to inflict a KD with a Rabam skill - not with Qcancel.

I am not one of these. Usually, the other people coming to me :D

Yep, shotgun is useful only in certain scenarios. However, that does not make PW-CW automatically doing enough damage, though. IMO, the damage of PW is too low with lower AP. We probably also do need Absolute: CW. With >265 AP there seems to be no such issue.

My concern is not about difficulty. There are a couple methods to spam PW. All require some training to become used to it. IMHO, the difficult part there is to maintain a certain position, or leveraging the recoil or side movements to move to certain locations. Even though some key combinations do not work at all on my hardware and there are also subtle differences when using A vs D, etc. -

Agreed. Well except, there is PW cancelled with kick (which also requires a preceding hit with auto or other bow skill), which is the fastest method to spam PW and this one costs a lot of mana.

Yeah, but gear matters! It's a difference if you need 4 shots or 25 to kill someone in far distance. The latter will just not happen.

Depending on the scenario, Shotgun is not always trash - I think, this is what you are saying.
    On the other hand, PWs damage - with my gear - is too low to induce the idea that it would be worth to master all combos - also in conjunction with Rabam. Nonetheless, I frequently use Tearing Shot in combo with PW and CW/TA and Qcancel, mostly TA/PW or Razor/PW spamming and I also practice this all the times in PvE (not so much in PvP though, because of time restrictions - and yes because gear matters) - even though the mechanic is different than in PvP and mobs are often immune.

I probably need that Air Damage in order to see a significant increase. So, I need that KD. Consequently, optimizing crystals (after getting the AP) for this play style seems mandatory as well.

It's not just this or because of this alone. I also listed: long animations (including Rabams), low damage (also Rabam), range too short, difficult to use when you have to exactly keep your current position.

IMHO, sufficient damage is the key here (get a kill in a few PWs).

6. Luxea

Luxea Ranger 63

No :p Like I said, I use it purely defensively. I never let the enemy get close enough to me to take advantage of the existent slow, but thanks for pointing it out. As for the stiff, I'd still rather not screw up the cc counter with it...Maybe in mass pvp I'll try what you just wrote, but I'd never dare in 1v1. Any good opponent already has their eyes on me so getting behind them will be kinda hard except for a few lucky moments if I catch them stuck in an animation.

And agreed, because my primary complaint with this skill is that 12s is way too long. Most of the time I just use this for a quick way to maneuver around my opponent's aoe range and usually only if I'm out of stam and cannot do a dash instead (which has an iframe on the first of every 7 uses, albeit otherwise also completely unprotected). As I said, a little buff on the cd of this skill would be greatly appreciated.

7. Tvvin

Nvm wrong person lol

8. Netreiam

Come on, you weren’t just posting to trash who you thought it was (a certain witch?) were you?

9. Tvvin

Hey I got a question. Is there any advantage to using pw from tearing arrow?I prefer pw /cw from razor wind or sharp feather I tbh purely for the inputs

I also don't main ranger XD just teaching a lady friend of mines how to play her. Ranger is fun af tho and landing airattacks with pw feels nice lol

Nah no trash talk. I just was surprised

10. Netreiam

Razor wind feels easier but tearing arrow is faster I think.

11. Spartakatz

Could you elaborate that one please? I can't see any difference between taking that flow and not. What combination are you referring to?

12. jsvalladares

Yup. Same here. I've tried the combos with and without that flow and I don't notice any difference.

13. Boojangles

ive been looking for some info on this. So how does this work exactly, or can you just link me a vid. I feel like you have one.

14. Netreiam

S+E --- LMB --- Shift +RMB (hold here for a sec if you want to do CW too)--- </> + RMB --- S+E repeat.

15. Wollbert

Wollbert Witch 61 EU

please speak in skillnames

16. Silsti

tearing-one shot-penetrating wind cancel (optional charging wind)---evasive shot---tearing again

#76 Silsti, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  17. Tvvin

Oo I like faster cancels. Gonna try later lool

18. Rysingmoon

Not necessarily. But when using Tearing Arrow (S + E + LMB) you probably want one TA shot to go off, for the debuff. So:

S + E + LMB (hold LMB briefly, so that one shot goes off), PW cancel, ...

Just for the cancelled PW, I prefer Razor (Shift + E), which feels a tad easier to pull off than S + E, IMO. But anyway, it's personal preference, unless you want the TA debuff - and I think, YES of course you should use the slow debuff when it seems appropriate.

Not sure if S + E (without one TA) is faster, though. Need to test it.

#78 Rysingmoon, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  19. Boojangles

ahh thanks. I do the cheese way when i need to get it off 100% (Hold shift>e>lmb+rmb...{press lmb slightly faster than rmb}) it shoots slightly slower than the razor wind kick cancel so id say its a bit slower than TA but its very hard to mess up. While im on arsha sometimes i have to do that because massive ping issues

20. Tvvin

Tearing arrowing pw actually is easy tbh. Ninja has a similar mandatory input