1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response Woefully ignorant questions

Discussion in 'New Adventurers' started by Dorotea, May 27, 2020.

1. Dorotea

After years of wavering I am finally about to sign up. So time for the basic clueless newcomer questions.

1. Are the $40 or $100 packages worth getting if the money is available? I like to play alts to try out the classes and races so if the items provided are per character not for each character they aren't worth spending for.

2. Is there anything I won't see when I pick a server that I need to know? My goal will be an EU/UK server if available - less crowded better than more crowded. Obviously if some are laggier that is not good - I am finally pulling the trigger because EQ2 kept getting worse and worse and worse. Unplayable today.

3. Are there any extras that are essential or highly worth getting when subscribing. I didn't see any pitches to buy expansions - maybe I missed them maybe BDO follows a different model. I would expect to want, even as a new player, the latest expansion. At least soon.

Thanks.

Muhaha likes this.
  2. asdsadfas

You can upgrade the game package so generally I would recommend buying the base game and trying it out to see if you like it before you sink more money into it but generally the packages value is more than what it costs in game. Probably EU server is good, nothing more than server location and population generally is good

3. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

I am not sure what is in any of the packages but I can tell you that storage, horses,pets and maids are shared across all characters but weight, personal inventory, outfits and horse flute are character bound. The tent which is definitely not necessary is account based too.

4. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

The package is the only way to get the hedgehog without alot of rigmarole. Other then that. to get a base unhindered experience, you are looking at an investment of at least $45 for the weight increase requirement per char you want to main, 250 million silver or $35 for a premium outfit, you need at least 3 market transaction maids, 5 t3 Pets, and at least 2 of the 3 subs running,(VIP,Karma blessing, or moon book) with an additional $20 per month investment in pearls for an unhindered gambling experience when upgrading stuff such as gear, horses, or your fairy so you can progress in a timely manner.

That should about cover it I think.

After that, the game gives a lil more to help you out. A few t1 pets, and another maid I think.

But like someone else said..Dont buy ANYTHING till you make it to level 58, and finish the main questline really...after that, then what I told you will make since. and If you dont feel its worth it, dont spend a dime. Plenty of fun can be had dodging the paywall requirements.

#4 Kynreaa, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  5. Muhaha

Muhaha Valkyrie 62 NA

1. Really depends on you, some will say buying pixels is stupid af, some will toss thousands of dollars into a game. You do want to have a main class that you end up putting weight/slots on. I'd suggest spending some time playing with the trial characters till you find one that just feels right or just sticks with you.

2. Just use the servers closest to you, if you live in NA, choose NA.

3. Aside from pets, weight, inv slots, tents are pretty nice to have when you start to pvp. There is no DLCs, you don't have to pay any extra, if you wanted to just buy the game and not put a cent in it afterwards, you could. BDO is pay for convenience.
    Unless you wipe your ass with money and can drop like 10k into the game, then you can just buy stuff with real money, sell on the market place, and probably buy end game gear. But for the most part, the irl money : in game silver isn't really worth it.

IMO, snag the game, if you're willing to drop 100$, go for it. Would just make things more convenient, if you aren't sure if this is the game for you, I'm pretty sure theres a thread somewhere that has a bunch of 7 day guest passes if you wanted to try the game first.

#5 Muhaha, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  6. Dorotea

Very helpful thanks.

While there are things I don't like in the game especially towards the end, there are also things I do like and at the risk of sounding shallow it is definitely *pretty*. I will get my money's worth on the character creating screen alone. Perhaps starting with a guardian or similar class as easier for a new player.

Starting a new game is hardly new to me though I have been doing these games since before Everquest.

7. Ternezia

Ternezia DarkKnight 60 EU

I'd say, buy anything only if you're sure you want to invest a long time into the game and you're sure you're having fun. This goes also beyond Lvl 58, IMO. The game is completely playable after buying the base game and without spending a cent after that. Weight and inventory slots, I have a friend new player at 60, he hadn't bought them but he's not complaining of lacking them so it seems the game is providing enough for a casual experience.

If you want to do lifeskilling, you are sure you want to invest time in it and want to do it seriously, then weight, inventory and a Hedgehog are necessary.

Still, there are way-arounds where you can obtain these things (except Hedgehog) in game without paying - it's just more inconvenient. Weight - by potions and lifeskill gear, inventory - by Loyalty points. It just takes longer, but it's perfectly achievable. The packages are just that - some convenience. That's what I like in this game. No monthly sub, but the game is perfectly playable. There are no "essentials" in the packages, if that's what you mean.

8. GM Fenix

Game Master

Hey there!

Welcome to BDO, I don't want to tell you what to do with your money, but I do want to ensure that your time here with us is enjoyable. Generally, for any newcomer, I would follow the advice of a lot of the community members who have posted here already. Don't start putting money into the game unless you are sure you'll be spending time playing, we do of course appreciate the decision to support us but your enjoyment is something that we strive for.

Perhaps giving the game a good old college try before you look into investing in one of the more expensive packages would be a good idea ^^ You can always upgrade if you feel it's worth it :) When starting off, you have 6 characters slots by default so I would recommend making a handful of characters and getting a feel for which one fits your playstyle the most. You can also check out Trial Characters which are Level 60 starting off and you can try out their combos and movements that they would have later in the game so you know what you're getting into and what to expect ^^

All in all, play the game how you want to play and most of all... enjoy it!

MoonDance17 likes this.
  9. Dorotea

Thanks - one last (for now) question. If I live in the U.S. - east coast - but play on the EU servers because the timing works better for me will there be a significant problem with lag. On most games that works fine.

10. Minarya

Minarya DarkKnight 63 EU
    Ambassador

For most things, like questing and pve, you should be fine. In pvp you will have a bit of a disadvantage due to high ping though, as it can lead to some desync and delays. You might want to look into a VPN that can reduce your ping, but it will not get rid of the issue entirely.