1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Word from the Developers about PvE

Discussion in 'PvE' started by CM Praballo, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Foggen

Foggen Musa 63 NA

Altar of Blood isn't a dungeon, it's tower defense. And it's tuned to where anybody not way over soft cap is going to have a bad time.

Corsix, June Madison and Rekkuzan like this.
  2. ghoulz666

They will follow that design philosophy until the game enters the grave.

Life2v likes this.
  3. † † †

There is no incentive to group with others in BDO- despite it being an MMO. That's something to think about devs.

I know I, and many others, enjoy doing dungeons in MMO's. This game doesn't have those. I'm not saying that this game needs to be like other MMO's, but I think this is a key sequence that is a necessity on the PvE side for every MMO.

Mindless mob grinding is what needs to be changed from every MMO- and that's what this game has leaned on like a crutch, unfortunately. There is nothing meaningful or memorable about it, and it's insanely time consuming. A game should not feel like a chore, yet the grind required in this game makes it one.

Vanraven likes this.
  4. Factorial

Exactly this. Can't emphasize it enough.

The thing is BDO is a different beast. It doesn't have to follow the traditional ways of other game's dungeons. We desperately need more content like AOB that emphasizes teamwork/social interaction. We don't need special gear to drop in dungeons. We don't need gear that makes the last 6 month's gear progression equal nothing because of dungeons. We don't need a 90-degree vertical progression.

BDO can do dungeons with a different goal. It's easy. Very easy.

We just want silver. Silver is all we care about. To me, silver/hour is the single greatest resource for me. If you can mix that with other people who are working together in a group setting that is fun and challenging, you would have solved everything including world hunger, war, and getting all green lights when you are running late for work.

Vanraven likes this.
  5. Jannanomana

Jannanomana Jannanomana Witch 62 EU

If we get dungeonds, we need dungeonds for the normal people, not for the nolifers.

Not Many Players make altar of blood right now, and people who want to make it are to weak for it.

If we get new dungeonds, we need to get to the directoin where Every Dungeon is always Worth without breaking the economy.

For example in Dungeon X you get a 30 AP Neclase in dungeon Y you get a PEN Crescend e.g. those items should be char bound like quest items so the economy will not crash. But people who enjoy PVE should get good gear without RNG on every dungeon run.

Or make it like tockens. "Beat Savage Rift Wave 20 - get 1 tockent" - Exchange 10 tockens for a PEN item on choice.

6. Patrik2991

"A few months ago, we finished development for an instanced dungeon"
    Lol.... constantly teleporting mobs etc, nice try... and fail. again.

Life2v likes this.
  7. Nattia

please, finally, dungeons! :D i wish something more interesting than a defense mechanic would be implemented

8. Ben Phoenix

People used to show up in threads like "Add dungeons in BDO" all the time saying "It's never gonna happen. Ever."

[​IMG]

#28 Ben Phoenix, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    PeaceInChaos likes this.
  9. Yukitzune

I would really like to see dungeon type content and in general more social features. There is just so much in BDO that is focused on being done solo so a dungeon where you have to play with a party sounds lovely. I already liked the Altar of Blood but something more like a labyrinth where its more focused on exploring and finding treasure is exciting to me.

And something kind of "useless" i guess, but i think we really need more social features in a way that you can interact with other players better and more emotes. I never understood why BDO had things like instruments that you can play but not even dances to go along with it. The Terrmian Beach had a huge performance stage but it feels pretty sad without any emotes or actions to interact with that.

10. Rekkuzan

I would definitely enjoy playing dungeon missions in BDO!

Please keep it simple and accessible to reasonably low level characters, 56 and 200 AP maybe for a start?

• no crafting entry tickets from obscure items please
    • if daily entry limits are a must, make it 10 not something petty like 3 and also make it per character not account
    • make dungeon entry available from everywhere as "teleport" feature, not just big cities or some top-of-the-highest-mountain magical warp gate
    • consider not using jumping "puzzles" or obstacle environmental traps because Lahn does not need to be mandatory
    • if some sections would require cooperation, please make it de-sync tolerant, unlike certain summer event Calpheon tower gimmick
    • "defend the objective" elements are fine as long as they scale with a number of team members
    • good amount of random factors is always welcome, I've played MMOs with dungeons I could memorize and finish blindfolded after X runs - not as fun as it could be, even if profitable
    • I respect healers in raids and such but don't add mandatory overheal dangers like lava/poison etc. only to justify their presence
    • AP/DP cap can be good or bad depending on many factors - if dungeons would have hardcore mode at some point then caps are a no-no.
    • There's plenty of elements you may be willing to re-use like mini games from quests, cannons, hunting rifles etc. which is fine but many players will need a quick tutorial if they've never seen them before so keep that in mind or maybe create an entry hub where we could practice some of these elements.

Thanks!

11. MinMaid

MinMaid Maehwa 1 NA

Never trust PA or kashkao they will forever disappoint.

Patrik2991 and Life2v like this.
  12. Draconnix

Draconnix Berserker 62

No dungeons are waste of time, AoB is dead content.

Life2v likes this.
  13. Desado

Desado Wizard 62 NA

This will be unpopular but I don't want dungeons.

People always ask for things other games have and i wonder, then why aren't you playing that game? Everyone leaves a game and the first thing they do is ask for the things they left, to be added to their current game. How is that going help anything? You think you want something better and new but insist on tired and old.

Black Desert is good because it's not other games. It's very unique.

Lointaine likes this.
  14. Dryed

Dryed Warrior 62 NA

Add PVE spots for Party of 5... Don't make a spot where you recommend 5 players in party, but players with slightly more gear can solo it with more benefits... Make a couple spots like that so its not too cramped. Make sure its more beneficial to grind that spot with group of 5 than solo Gahaz...

15. Souken

Working together in a guild

Maybe some type of "Guild master / Officer triggered event". Like idk, gather XX amount of people from the guild and recieve some form of buff or whatever if you do a certain kind of action like gathering, processing, (seamonster) hunting, grinding a certain type of mob as a grp. Buffs trigger / maintain via minigames for example maybe?

Stepping into dungeons

Bad idea... how are you supposed to balance those?
    Timegate them would do nothing then giveing us another box to check every time we log in.
    Dont timegate them and attempt to balance those across all Gear stages? Good luck with that.
    How would rewards even work? Either rewards are so low / rare that its not worth doing more then once to see it the content *savage rift cough* or you overtune them and basicly kill openworld PVE / PVP. Not even bothing with gear stages or speedrunning those yet even...

Much rather get some grp open world PVE and Lifeskills in.

16. Dannyswe1235

Dannyswe1235 Kunoichi 62 EU

we dont really miss much from kr anymore. only thing i know is the ult katan weapon,daves log,310 ap grind spot and warrior succession

17. Xairen

the only thing good about this game is its action combat.

everything else blows and im glad they're adding dungeons and new pvp arenas because im sick and tired of going in a circle by myself for 500 hours but if u dig that then aight to each their own. i actually wanna be in a discord channel with my friends AND play with them, not be in a channel with them and grinding by myself.

Patrik2991 and Vorkrunne like this.
  18. MrDBear

Good group pve content is something that is definitely not a strength of BDO, unlike it’s pvp content counterpart. The intensity of the mechanics and heart racing pvp is why we stick around (sorry lifeskillers and roleplayers). We grind hours and hours by ourselves, running in predetermined circles, to farm billions of silver in order to make small gains and DUNK on weebs. After awhile, running in that circle killing mobs in the same place over and over again, makes some players question why they are even playing anymore. The routes I would like the Developers to take in consideration to pve content are: To make the content immersive and feel a part of the world, for the content to require high requirements for communication and strategy, and for the content to be an effective means at progression.

The Alter of Blood content was incredibly fun. The first time I did it, my friends and I were yelling and trying to plan out what our next move was and where to position. It was EXCITING. The mobs hit like trucks, and it was a rewarding experience. All except, it just felt like a different game mode, like the RBF. You open up the menu screen, click on the Altar of Blood, push enter, and magically port off to god knows where. Pve content like this needs to have it’s own place in the world, just like any other grind spot that you have to physically travel in order to enter (Hystria, Aakman, Sycraia). Entering the AoB didn’t feel like a part of the game, because all I had to do was push some menu buttons to get there.

19. Dryed

Dryed Warrior 62 NA

AoB was not exciting for me at all. There was no strategy at all. Same running around in circles and killing waves, kinda reminded me boring rift waves..

Same content, you still need to grind mobs and gear up to be able to complete AoB, because like you said mobs hit like a truck lol.. Besides mobs doing a lot of damage, AoB is a no brainer.. I would like to say, not that I want WoW dungeons, but the idea of WoW PVE is far more superior and actually requires tactics, unlike BDO where you just gotta have gear and you can mown mobs with ease. I don't mind it for solo brain-ded grind, but for group content they need to step it up.

Implementation of places where it actually requires group of 5 and not 1 over-geared player that will benefit in solo more than in group would be a start. Loot has to be shared for all 5 members of party, solo loot and exp should be nerfed to allow group content to be worth anything. Brain-ded mobs are fine for now, as long as its actually group content. Not like Trees and Gyffin, where its a lot more beneficial to solo now.

Life2v and PeaceInChaos like this.
  20. PeaceInChaos

PeaceInChaos Sorceress 62 NA

Hey CM Praballo, thanks for your efforts in reaching out to the community. As you, and many others in your department can see, many players are very disappointed with the current lackluster state of the game and I appreciate these efforts to gain feedback from the people who actually call BDO home. Here's my feedback:

Do the developers have any plans to expand "immersive type content"?

Immersive content, such as questing, is a fine addition. People do enjoy the lore and exploration and sense of wonder it can bring. I am in full support of revamping the questlines. But to be perfectly honest, I do not think quest immersion is at the top of player priority lists and I believe the game designers should be allocating their time and resources to things the community is begging for first, before tackling a perceptively big project such as quest revamping.

The People want:
    • Real group content.
      • Group grind zones are fine, except we only have Mirumok Ruins. Ash Forest is soon to come, but it is intended for 300+ AP and will not be relevant to the majority of the player-base. New group grind zones are welcomed.
      • Dungeons (more detail below)
      • Queue-able instanced PvP with parties. Instanced to minimize desync and lag. With parties so players can play with the friends they want to.
    • Karma system rework
      • The current Karma system is open to abuse by players. Players are allowed a certain amount of uncalled-for PK before being punished. Players are also able to ruin the game experience of others by purposefully dying to them by enticing annoyance/anger by way of ruining the other player's grind rotations. The current Karma system is exponentially broken and is open to toxicity. Needs to be seriously addressed in a way that allows for healthy Open World PvP without encumbering too heavily on the part of non-PvP players.
    • PvP Content.
      • Shadow Arena was a step in the right direction. It's deletion from BDO has left a very sour taste in the mouths of your players, we just sit and bear it. Is that how the designers wish to treat their money makers? I hope not.
      • New RBF maps and modes (King of the Hill, Capture the Flag, etc.).
      • PvP modes, like Shadow Arena. MOBA style mode, maybe?
      • Ranked 1v1. I believe BDM has this. Why doesn't PC have this?
    • More that I missed.
      • You'll find many suggestions for other things in the forums. These are just off the top of my head.
    Working together in a guild
    I have no suggestions on this at the moment.

Stepping into dungeons

This is music to my ears - actual group content (allowing for great social camaraderie)? This is beautiful and a great idea. My suggestion to how dungeons were to work in BDO.
    • Non-instanced.
      • Instancing dungeons (Altar of Blood is NOT a dungeon. It is tower defense. As well as bosses NOT being a "raid". It's a boss) will break the immersion that is highly encouraged in BDO.
        • My suggestion in the form of an example: Player earns 'Dungeon Entry Scroll Pieces" via grinding and/or completing quests or daily rewards. Player then combines the scroll pieces to form a Dungeon Entry Scroll. Player coordinates a dungeon raid with several other Adventurers who also have a completed DES. Players head to dungeon location, say, a cave deep within the mountainous regions of Kamasylvia. Players enter the cave (dungeon) by handing over their combined scrolls to a gatekeeping NPC. Upon Dungeon start, players fight through mobs, making way into the heart of the cave. Players are met with mobs. Mini-bosses. Puzzles to pass through certain areas. When players meet the final boss, the boss has interesting and "non-traditional" mechanics in order to defeat - not simple hack-and-slash - rather, something more complex and involved, requiring teamwork and coordination. Players receive loot after raid completion, relative to the amount of time and effort spent in the dungeon.
    • Multiple dungeons, ranging from lower tier dungeons to high tier, that way all players of varying gear score can participate. Proper/relative to dungeon's difficulty rewards of completion should also be present.
    • Allow for diverse builds. Tank and off-tank roles to be of benefit to a successful raid. Shai and Casters needed in order to burst heal or apply DP buffs (Protected Area). Simple "AP Monkey" builds will be needed to DPS mobs and bosses, but I believe by allowing / encouraging defensive builds would add a layer of depth that will allow for more fun, creativity and experimentation by players - which is a good thing in my eyes. Maybe a bunch of high GS AP builds can complete a low tier dungeon/raid, but for the highest tier ones, it would be very interesting that the high end raid mobs hit very hard - requiring coordinated use of a DP build and/or hybrid builds in order to soak that damage, while the AP builds do the DPS.
    There's more!! But this is a start, and I thank you for your efforts in making BDO the greatest game that could ever be. It sure has the "potential" to be!!