1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Word from the Developers about PvE

Discussion in 'PvE' started by CM Praballo, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Cascaden

I see a lot of "we are very careful"...just dont be so careful that you take forever to introduce the content or let fear drive you to the point you never release it. Also please dont be afraid of providing a challenge for solo and group.

2. JustSomeGuy

I read that fairy tale every now and then and I'm convinced the opposite will come true. It will be a second wind for the game with not only a lot of people returning but even more so those that brushed it off immediately because forced PvP giving it a chance for the first time.

Just recently Amazon did a 180 on their new previously PvP only game offering now a full PvE experience with PvP being completely optional for those that desire it for the same reason.

I agree though that, in case PvE channels will appear, the Karma system for the regular channels needs to be dialed back a bit more to what it originally was; making karma suicide less of a thing. After all the harsh karma settings are to make the people disliking PvP less likely to leave; something that would have no reason to be as it is anymore with PvE channels.

Schwertfee likes this.
  3. ghoulz666

They said this will make Shai more relevant. Do some of those buffs even affect mobs? Can they crit? Is there even a point in reducing their evasion...?

4. PeaceInChaos

PeaceInChaos Sorceress 63 NA

Let's weigh the pro's and con's of a PvE only server and analyze how it will impact the entire game, influencing those who do not participate in a PvE only server:
    Pro's:
    - Reduced toxic griefing
    - Freedom to relax in the open world without worry
    - Increased time grinding mobs / lifeskilling because of the elimination of PvP encounters

Con's:
    - Negatively impacts the Central market
    - Increased time harvesting loot = an elimination of a very critical factor when it comes to the monetary value of items, causing items to lower in overall value at a rate faster than it currently is.
    - Reduced player interaction in an open world sandbox MMORPG
    - A divided community

These are a few factors that I see when analyzing the impact a PVE only server would entail. There's probably more too. When looking at this, I find the con's greatly outweigh the pro's in terms of the impact it would make on the overall game, and to all players who play it. The con's cannot be averted - if a PvE only server were to be introduced, the con's are inevitable and it is 1) not fair to players who won't enter a PvE only server, and 2) reduces the "essence" of what makes BDO, BDO - an open world, PvX sandbox MMORPG.

Thing is, the pro's of a PvE only server can still be attained without the introduction of a PvE only server - by limiting the toxicity that a PvX server can bring. And this is by revamping and innovating the currently broken Karma system. Currently, the Karma system gives an "allowance" of toxicity that players can freely exploit. "I have X number of Karma, I can gank X number of AFK lifeskillers, or X number of lowbies before running out" type of thing. This is not healthy for the game, at all, in it's current state. A reworking of the Karma system and the introduction of a Bounty System would greatly reduce the toxic encounters in a fair (and fun!) way for all.

I can go into detail of how I think a Bounty System should work (I went into great detail in other posts), but basically, for it to work - the Karma system would be removed completely. One kill = Red / Bandit state. Same penalties with mandatory jail time / jail labor to shorten it with EXP loss to the Red Player if he/she loses. Red players can have their location searched for and can be hunted by players who sign up and complete a questline to be Bounty Hunters, with rewards for either side if they win the encounter (silver for the Bounty Hunter, 30 min combat buffs for the Bandit). More details that I won't go into now. What this will do is increase the risk tied to being Red, currently, jail is a non-issue to most who open world PvP - you can escape really easily. Crystal breakage isn't that big of a deal either. EXP loss, that's different and is both a deterrent and an incentive to players who crave that type of excitement in a game full of monotonous content. A Bounty System will have many pro's with no apparent con's; a few pro's are 1) increased player interaction, 2) an avenue for players to take on the role of 'good guy' or 'bad guy' (imagine the glorious RP it could have), 3) protection for PvP-averse players, 4) and more.

A PvE only server strips away critical factors that make BDO, BDO (sandbox open world PvX MMORPG) and does not add to it. Not only will it diminish the game by stripping away its features, but it will also impact the player driven economy negatively. If a PvE only server were to be introduced, it would have to either 1) have a loot drop rate decrease (opposite of Arsha, since more time will be spent looting, instead of PvP'ing), 2) have their own, permanent residence in a separate server (once you enter he PvE server, you can't go back to PvX and your market sales will only exist on that server as to not disrupt the market all players share). That's the only way I see it being balanced, but who wants that? A divided community? That's not why we play PvX MMORPG's...Diablo, PoE, Warframe - those games are better suited for players who are PvP-averse in a PvX game.

PS - I noticed you used the term "Karma suicide". Are you one of those flat earthers who believe Karma bombing doesn't exist?

#84 PeaceInChaos, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  5. Otrsor

Otrsor Sorceress 63 EU

This one is probably wrong tho, griefing without pvp will still happen if not more, taking away pvp will just force a small part of the griefers to find new ways of being anoying yet most of the current griefers are right now doing it without flagging at all anyways. Keep in mind griefing is, at least in bdo mostly done by karmabombers, its suuuuuuper rare to have someone using any form of pvp to grief anyone (in fact i have only seen it happen once or twice, usually against streamers and with a relatively low impact on the gamplay tbh, this game is super friendly for carebears, way too much)

PeaceInChaos likes this.
  6. ghoulz666

People forget that grind spots can still be stolen. What are you going to do when someone with more AP and mobility shows up?

This doesn't solve anything. PVE overall needs an overhaul. Tougher mobs, more drops, grind spots being reduced in size due to mobs taking longer to kill, parties & scaling.

7. PeaceInChaos

PeaceInChaos Sorceress 63 NA

I can see that. People will still try to over-rotate in grind / gather locations - without the ability to honorably duel for spot, making the situation even worse - on top of the other sh*t it would bring. I can picture that this type of toxicity will be even MORE common than it is now (which is really low, TBH, relatively) because there's no penalty whatsoever for doing this. What are they going to do, set up some sort of tracker that tracks every player's actions 24/7 to see if someone is annoying someone else by grinding over them? Bollocks. At least now, we can fight over our claim.

Sure, people can still talk it out like how it is now - but no flagging / no declaring war to solve this if the other party isn't cooperative makes for even more troublesome situations. I really don't see the logic in some people's cries for PvE only servers...to me, it comes off way less as a rational solution than it is an emotional outcry (the very definition of a 'carebear'). Like, how narcissistic do you have to be to be so damn selfish? It's beyond my comprehension level - yeah, I'm a dimwitted dumbf*ck, but damn. It's too much.

This is why I interpret the plea for a PvE only server as an actual NEED for a reworked Karma system and the introduction of a Bounty System, because I'm a low IQ troll and can't see the rationality that comes with this big-brain request for a PvE only server.

``\__(--______--)__/``

8. JustSomeGuy

And thats why they loose money.

9. 2Slay

I'm from another server so sorry for my english.

The only thing you didn't get right with BDO was PVE, in full, BDO has a lot of potential, just explore it, the **** is that PVE based just has the ONLY grind, explore and add the dungeons / raids and global events, look at the example of Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, with this kind of thing the game will grow a lot, really.

With the game having a lot more global dungeons / raids / events and the current PVE content that is grind and lifeskill (damn lifeskill), damn it, the game will get a whole lot better.

And the blood altar, it should be a solo tower challenge or even co-op, Sword Art Online style, highlight simple things like ranked, prizes with shiny weapons, that kind of thing wins the player.