1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Word from the Developers about PvP

Discussion in 'PvP' started by CM Praballo, Nov 6, 2019.

1. CM Praballo

Community Manager

Greetings Adventurers,

Fighting other players is an integral part of Black Desert Online and many of you are deeply invested in this playstyle. Naturally, PvP focused players have questions, feedback, and concerns specific to the way BDO enables and supports combat between players.
    The developers shared some insight into their game philosophy, game design decisions in the past and future plans, especially about PvP outside node and siege wars.
    Below you can read, what the devs at Pearl Abyss had to say. Please share your thoughts in the replies, so we can relay your feedback right back to the game designers.

----------------------------------------

PKs, Karma and the Desert

Back when we were designing the Valencia region, we prepared various contents related to the <Outlaw> content. We wanted to encourage interaction among players by highlighting the benefits of trading or collecting special items across different continents and collecting items through defeating monsters in various monster zones while making the desert into an area of lawlessness. We even had a "Wanted" system, a desert extractor (*a special resource which was available only for the developing stage), and a "desert trade" system. However, the reason why we excluded all these systems was that we were in doubt of whether or not creating a system where adventurers chase away other adventurers was really providing a "fun experience" for the players. At the time, we decided that it would not provide a fun experience for the players. We decided that it was better to provide players with a more comfortable gaming experience. Therefore, we excluded much of the <Outlaw> content and opened up the system with only the features that we believed are necessary. This is still the direction we are following.
    However, after the release of Valencia, we continued to receive feedback demanding the <Outlaw> content. We took a long time to think about this, and as a response to the demands, we decided to open the Arsha server. The Arsha server shows our intended direction of BDO: "A content for only those who are prepared", not a place where "prepared adventurers grief those who are not prepared.'' We will continue to follow this direction. We are currently planning on a renewal for the Valencia (The Great Desert) region, and we will keep the above direction in mind when expanding upon the Outlaw system. We will also think of improvements to prevent issues such as Karma Bombing which take advantage of the current system's weaknesses.

Deadly combat as a sport

We wanted to provide a PvP environment that is free from excessive competition. This is why we updated the game with Team Battles in which multiple players can team up together and also allowed players to have the opportunity to join the Battle Arena at anytime from anywhere via teleport (though this travel method is not as per our original direction of the type of game BDO is supposed to be like). However, if the adventurers really want it, we will seriously consider implementing 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc. matches and also consider implementing a ranking system. If this really happens, we will focus on making sure that the rewards are not the sole goal and purpose of this system. Instead, we will focus on making this system a fair competitive system, with emphasis on making "honor/fame" the main goal of the adventurers.

2. Factorial

I don't PvP but even I can see that PVPers want more PvP related content. So why are you still considering this? It should have been in implementation years ago.

Come on pearl abyss. Get your blank together.

Anyway thanks for officially letting us know BDO isn't a PvP game.

3. namnam030

namnam030 GottKoenig Valkyrie 62 EU

balance first before implement something new, otherwise we just see only the fotm classes in the rankings....

Oakley, Thugarin, easay9 and 12 others like this.
  4. Erroll

Erroll DarkKnight 63

Balance class when ?

More map / put "Unknow Adventurer" on the ghilie in RBF when ?

Just, more content when ?

Thugarin, Assilma, R.Prescott and 7 others like this.
  5. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

Balancing classes ?
    Damage numbers ?
    Removing War wHeroes ?
    1v1 matches ? What they smoke up ? When you die 1 skill from 220 AP ninja and in return you do no damage to him with 281+ AP what kind of 1v1 is that ?

6. Thiya

Yes please, give us this 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 arena.
    We've been crying for something like that for years, the PvP community is literally dying.
    Stop seriously considering it and actually start doing it...

And for the people that are crying about class balance in this topic, don't. If you really care about PvP, don't **** on the idea of a 1v1 arena by crying about class balance, sure we all want better class balance, but let's use this topic to let PA know we want this arena. And no I'm not a ninja, I'm a wizard and I still want this arena, even though my class isn't gonna be on the top leaderboards.

WolfyPlayss, Basic, Zanyuu and 11 others like this.
  7. DxDiddy

1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc. matches and implementing a ranking system

YES YES YES, lots of ppl come together for nw & sw, even when the rewards for it are way less than pve.
    But they do it for the guild, pvp & interactivity. Adding more content will keep those ppl (including myself) hooked on the game.

Above that adding such a ranked system will give alot of data that could benefit the game.
    It would be easy to analyse the top ranked classes to give light tweaks to them to balance it out.
    Also if it isn't gearlocked, more ppl will get a motivation to grind for more gear. Or simply see it as an excuse why they aren't high ranked.

so pls try to add such a system!

8. Konoko

After 5 years you finaly realised there is a promblem in PvP content... i cant believe i live in such great time... but are you ****ing sirious that you are only thinking on some aspects that you mentioned? THIS MUST BE IN THIS GAME ALREADY SINCE RELEASE FFS...

9. DevillisH

1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc. matches and also consider implementing a ranking system

YES, a lot of people have been pretty much running out of PVP content and things to do these days and only log into the game for nodewars or siege. Adding that kind of content would keep people playing the game more actively and a lot of people always wished for that kind of pvp content.
    If the rewards for pvping were anywhere close to grinding or lifeskilling I would probably play this game longer than just for nodewars...

And as mentioned above adding a ranked system will give you a decent amount of stats for class balancing (in pvp).

WolfyPlayss, Distaken, Zogre and 6 others like this.
  10. Rinnagans

so karma bombing is not a myth? :)

Filia, Distaken, Mana_Mafia and 2 others like this.
  11. Idhren

Focus on NW & Siege please ... far more important than 3v3 ...

LordCookiez, Casty and Erroll like this.
  12. Diesel402

YES PLEASE!! People that do not have the time/schedule to participate in node wars desperately need some other form of PvP. I have been waiting for so long for something other than RBF. Also consider something like capture the flag.

Distaken and Mana_Mafia like this.
  13. McBicep

I've been missing proper arena combat with ranking since I first started playing bdo. Right now I find it hard to motivate playing BDO actively, but oh boy arena rankings would spark the flame again.

WolfyPlayss, Distaken and Mana_Mafia like this.
  14. onaco

onaco Musa 62 EU

I would really really enjoy something similar to what Blade & Soul had, an 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3 arena, or a random matching one, where everyone has equal gear and just fights for the sake of it. Would be nice if class's skills got fixed before that (and damage balance).
    I'd go there even it there weren't any rewards.
    I don't mind if someone kills me with a clear gear difference in open world, but for the fun and enjoyment of dueling itself, I'd like a 1vs1 arena a lot.

Zeljeznaa likes this.
  15. Grithen

Please remove guild protection. It's an old feature that was once relevant, but now all it does is allow griefing without even a war declaration helping the other party.

16. BloodieX

Yes please implement arenas and rankings so you see it is all ninjas and sorcs POGGERS

Silowyi likes this.
  17. Prim nw

hahaha watch them do the 1v1 2v2 3v3 thingy on trial char's because people cry about equal gear. Dead content within a week. Noone cares if only ninja/sorc mains are allowed

18. Rikiya

I've been waiting for some kind of ranked PVP system since launch.

Go ahead and remove that "Savage Rift" button that no one appears to be using anymore and replace it with arena ranking plzkthx! <3

Mana_Mafia likes this.
  19. Crandy

Please, PLEAAASE deactivate gear advantage in the 1v1; 2v2 modes. Unbalanced gear in a competitive pvp environment would ruin the whole experience.

Zeljeznaa, Toq, easay9 and 2 others like this.
  20. Tristesse

YESYESYESYES!!! Finally...I was so rdy with this game, you guys make me enthusiastic again! Add some battlgegrounds to this like capture the zone/flag, whatever, and were done!