1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, going F2P really revives the game!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by T800, Mar 1, 2020.

1. LightningFFXIII-4

Oh no, not 9.99 dollars for the base game. I'm sure the RMT guys will have trouble buying new accounts. If only they were getting banned by the tens of thousands. After all FFXIV bans RMT accounts by the tens of thousands, i would expect Black Desert Online who has an "Active" playerbase of half of FFXIV to at least ban 5000 accounts every 2 weeks. But nope, just a measly 100 every month or so.

And for those ppl who say BDO is P2W, lmao. BDO is not P2W, its Pay to give you a reason to play more.

#161 LightningFFXIII-4, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  2. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

Greed is not stopped by law, only false advertising and scam. If they sell you a golden crown that can do nothing for 1 million €, then they can do so. Only if they would sell it to you and claim it would do something and then it doesn't, that would become a problem. So far bdo as a game is not wrongly advertised and gives you what it says it does.

Ever heard of "fun". Yes, there are people who actually enjoy bdo just for fun, chilling, going around doing some lifeskills or question. I actually know quite a few of those and to them it doesn't matter to be competitive.
    However i do agree that if you want to be competitive in bdo, you will have a hard and expensive way infront of you.

Chaos Ronin likes this.
  3. Khondo

You know you have made your point BDO is P2W, but that makes EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD P2W. If you throw enough money at anything you can "win". How many people would throw $100k at BDO? 0.00000000000000000001% of players (not even that amount of people).

How much money have you spent on a hobby?

But if I do that..... what do I win?

Chaos Ronin, Hondo_Lane and AZzalor like this.
  4. Dalenos

PEN gear so you can feel special so you can one-shot peeps that have none

:o:o:o

Fearless V likes this.
  5. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

Ok...Now how do they do it in a manor that doesent piss you off? For me it was being given the ability to circumvent these paywalls with ingame progression by trading silver for IRL currency "win" items purchased from others.
    In other words a way to pass the cost off to someone else..especially if it comes to items where the result is not guaranteed.

6. Khondo

Oh so if feel special I "win". Ok that means I "win" all the time and I don't need to pay money for that. As for "one-shot peeps" who cares about that.

7. zhagsten

Nobody cares about you playing on words. If you don't understand what's P2W, that's your problem.

Fearless V and Dalenos like this.
  8. magret

to his credit he just confessed he felt special all the time.

zhagsten likes this.
  9. Vortexii

That misnomer is only true for trash like Bless Online, Fallout 76, or Candy Crush. Those games didn't have what it takes to maintain millions of active customers.

However, that model is complete trash in comparison to a massive player base. BDO sold millions of copies, but only maintains a small fraction of active players. Every step of the way THEY LOST LONG TERM REVENUE STREAMS FROM 1,000's of PEOPLE at a time.

BDO could have had 100,000's of people feeding money into the game every month. Buying multiple items with a player base of millions.

Instead they rely on a small player base and even smaller amount willing to continually pay. They repulse many of their customers to the point that even spenders get sick of it.

WOW made it's money from having such a huge broad player base. BDO could have done the same and even stolen a lot of it from other games. WOW fell apart. Nearly every MMO released for the last 3 years has fallen apart.

BDO had a chance to grab it all. However, their Archeage Style business model collapsed them just as it did Archaege. Ironic that Kakao is now buying into that lost game too.

BDO will forever be one of the few games that could have been something, but really made it.

10. Fearless V

Fearless V Lahn 61 NA

Once again the BDO community have lost the focus of the thread to get into a pissing match with each other over pointless semantics.

zhagsten likes this.
  11. Khondo

I'm here to learn, teach me all the secrets of the world I don't understand...….

12. Khondo

In both games you can buy an account or pay someone to level your account....P2W by everyone's definition.

13. Fearless V

Fearless V Lahn 61 NA

THAT ILLEGAL AND AGAINST THE TOS IN THOSE GAMES. However you can legally buy victories from the in game cash shop in BDO. Dude I'm starting to question your intelligence and mines for even responding to your BS.

The bottom line is that this increase of new players to BDO will be short lived. Because the cash shop monetization would have pushed 99% or more of them away.

BDO's business model is not to get $20,000,000 for 200,000 people. But to get $5,000,000 from 10,000 people. BDO is not a long lasting flagship, but a proven short term cash grab and quit. Unlike GW2 and ESO, BDO does sacrifice it's gameplay for it's business model. Nothing you do or say will change that fact.

Again the bottom line is this increase in players yall are saying from BDO being F2P now. Will not last and even more negative ratings and reviews will be giving on the game.

14. Vortexii

I thought you where supposed to be a long term player?
    Evidence #1,444 that @AZzalor doesn't actually play the game

Daum Games (Which is now Kakao) falsely advertised many times that THIS VERSION would NOT be pay2win. They specifically stated Kama Blessing WOULD NOT be a cash shop item.

The entire point of PAYING for this version instead of it being FREE like in Korea was specifically to BUY the game instead of the massive P2Win Model.

What's wrong with you that you don't know any of this?

Fearless V and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  15. Nextgengame

Buying an account from third party isn't P2W by definition, stop spreading lies...

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  16. Vortexii

Don't give up! And remember your audience is NOT necessarily the person you are interacting with. In reference to one of his Atheist debates Richard Dawkins commented "I'm not trying to convert my opponent, the point is to help the audience understand". He knew talking directly to his opponent was as you say here "a waste of time". They wouldn't understand, so instead Dawkins focused on others who would witness the discussion.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  17. Khondo

Why not, it is paying real world money for gains in a game? Is there some clause in the definition that excludes this type of transaction?

18. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

It is not pay to win because it is against the terms of service and therefore a waste of money as you are likely to be banned.

Nextgengame and Fearless V like this.
  19. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

that is something totally different. and in most game bannable offense.

Fearless V and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  20. Khondo

Sounds like there are many different definitions and situations for a game to be P2W?

AZzalor likes this.