1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes, the lag is your ISP's fault. No, there is very little that Kakao can do about it.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Memetess, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Memetess

People keep coming on here complaining about the lag, but the one thing that sticks out is that there is always one person that says, "that's weird, I'm not experiencing any lag or disconnects myself", not only have these posts been prevalent, but one of those people is also me. I have experienced none of the lag that people have been complaining about, I have not disconnected over night, or during the day at all (besides for the emergency maintenances that happened). I knew something was up but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Then I went to raid in Final Fantasy XIV, everyone was experiencing major lag spikes, but not me. People in my raid were lagging, and disconnecting from the game, very similar to what had been happening to people I was 5 man grinding with in BDO. It didn't strike me as super odd until someone said that it had been happening since around the same time it started happening in Black Desert, about a week ago.

Current thread that has some people complaining about the lag in FFXIV, there's quite a few more of these too: link

But that wasn't it, I started looking into it, I went and checked out some other MMOs that I play, I checked the TERA forums. People were complaining there too.

Link and Link and Link

I asked some friends who play Warframe and they confirm issues, but I checked the forums and didn't notice any threads, looking at the forum rules, I think they may be deleting threads and asking people to direct their complaints to customer support.

Yes, I'm aware of the outages reported two days ago for Comcast users, these are not related to those issues and have been ongoing in all of these games for the same amount of time that it has been ongoing in BDO. If you have more games that have been having widespread problems like this, feel free to report it in a comment.

Okay, so now you're probably wondering "what CAN Kakao do then", well Kakao can compile a list of problems and help by sending these problems to Comcast, Cox, or whatever other ISP may be having these problems. You can also help with this problem. Whenever you're in the middle of receiving a large lag spike, you can do a tracert, this will ping back to the servers and determine the ping of each hop. Here is a guide on how to run a trace route, the server's IP is "209.58.137.212". You can run this now as a test to make sure it works. Once you get a good screenshot of a trace route of the lag as it's happening, you can send this in to customer support for BDO and they can add this to a list of things to be sent out. Make sure to include a timestamp of when it happened, what ISP you have, and how often this has been happening to you.

Now, there's one final thing that needs to be understood, not all lag is from the same source. Yes, the lag that happened after maintenance that completely shuttered the servers and resulted in extended maintenance happened to everyone, including me. This lag is likely the result of faulty programming, which was swiftly fixed. Shortly after, there was a bit more lag late in the night, which ended after two more emergency maintenances. I believe this lag was a problem in the patch, but was fixed after the final emergency maintenance. Then there's the lag that has been happening during node wars. I too have noticed this lag, when on servers with thousands of players, or rather dozens of guilds per node participating, myself and people in my guild all experienced extreme lag, server disconnects, and seeing the map reload. This also happened pretty badly during the siege war on mediah this last Saturday. I believe this lag is unrelated, it stems entirely from the fact that the servers were not meant to hold thousands of players at once. This is an issue I believe should be resolved, but let's focus on one problem at a time for now.

Some people may be wondering, "what's the point of this thread", or "you're just a cowcow shill". I am a firm believer that ******** should be called out, but I believe that the heart of the call out should be on the correct ********, otherwise absolutely no progress will be made.

(Gonna edit this bit in here, I feel this needs to be added as well) While you might be receiving lag in Black Desert, you might not actually lag to anything else. Your connection is likely being throttled to the BDO servers, not your connection itself. This is where the concept of Comcast's speed lanes begins, where they would like to take advantage of the repeal of Net Neutrality to allow themselves to charge people more to have faster connections to certain websites. This includes throttling your connection to BDO until you fork over more money. Read my next bit for more information.

If you want to do more than just send tracert reports in, there is one more thing you can do. Help battle the repeal of Net Neutrality, I believe a lot of these problems stem from the fact that Comcast thinks they've already won, and are now throttling connections. Check out all of these links for more information:
    https://www.battleforthenet.com/
    https://www.savetheinternet.com/sti-home
    https://www.eff.org/
    https://www.publicknowledge.org/
    https://www.freepress.net/

#1 Memetess, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. Rooptsol

Wow all that wall of text to says : I'm right you're wrong. If the server work for me it is not a server issue.

You sound like the dude who just like to listen to himself.

Half the crap you wrote make no sense. Why is there so many whiteknight know it all on this forum. So what's the point of this thread ?

P.S I liked this joke a lot : Your connection is likely being throttled to the BDO servers, not your connection itself.

DocPepper and Saccharin like this.
  3. LogicaI

Hey atleast you can out with your own opinion and theories instead of just swallowing everything and blinding an eye to evidence. +1 for you

but get ready to be called me,or a corporate shill.

4. xCrazYx

I was told Ka$hkao was giving Memetess free pearl items for coming on here and saying that the lag is the fault of ISP's all over the world and not their servers.

Makes total sense right?

5. Rooptsol

Just like you he doesn know what he's talkin about and just like to trigger people while trying to look smart. The things is you, particularly,Logical, look truly dumb like a brick every time you open your mouth.

Some could argue you just try to trigger people and that you are in fact a troll but I don't think your intelligence is allowing you to do that. You genuinely think you are right and that's what is really frightening about you.

6. Mystline

God can you stfu never seen a white knight with so much brown on his nose. I'm betting your one the assholes oh the now processing is your internet service provider fault not bdo.

Pastrybox, Aribod and MalGuldur like this.
  7. Memetess

Can you refute that point then? Can you refute anything? If only half the player base is lagging, then it's not the servers fault.

If you would like more information on throttling, you can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_throttling

Feel free to read my post where I already called that you would be in this post.

crawlord likes this.
  8. Hyppocritten

Ftfy

9. LogicaI

Lol the constant personal attacks say much more about you, i think it would be more frightening to look in the mirror if i was as echo chambered as someone who has to resort to constant personal insults to try and grant validity to my posts.

10. Rooptsol

Yes yes. I did refute them on much of the post dofus like you made. Did you try to read them ? Feel free to read the forum before posting non sense just to try to look smart.

And just a last question, could you be more full of yourself or you would blow out ?

11. Memetess

Hey, you can read the part of my post where I acknowledged that not all lag problems stem from the same issue.

12. crawlord

preach ... Get ready to be flamb'ee'd by the masses

:)

[​IMG]

LogicaI likes this.
  13. LogicaI

It doesn't matter if you look at it with logic and reason,Deductions or evidence, Roop has made it clear from his previous posts in the other threads that no evidence or proof,or theorizing other than his own matters,he will not listen to it,he will only call you a corporate shill,personal insults or attempt to defame you instead of your arguments /debates. you are wasting your time with this one.

Columba, De_Vaillance and crawlord like this.
  14. Memetess

You're right, I'll only reply to serious posts that have questions or concerns from now on, people who can't even be bothered to read the post and only want to cause flame wars do not deserve the recognition

crawlord and LogicaI like this.
  15. Rooptsol

What evidence or proof are you talkin about ? You started that crap with crawlord calling for a meme war ahahah where the **** do you think you are ? I work in IT stated before i was network admin i don't give 2 fk about you or crawlord for real.

You are still wrong and full of yourself but whatever bighead believe what you want.

16. Remilee

Meanwhile at ISP office:
    tom-cruise-lol.jpg

WakeNbake, crawlord and LogicaI like this.
  17. Karaad

I have friends who play TERA and Warframe. I've confirmed with them that they are currently and have been having connection issues with the games for a few weeks. It seems odd that all gaming services might be disrupted. Both of these friends have solid connections and have not had connection issues in the past, maybe something is up with routing on the back end of certain junctions with isps? Who knows. Good work sourcing multiple topics that are fresh and relevant to our issues here and seemingly fall in line with the time frame of our recent connection issues.

Aoy and crawlord like this.
  18. Bestkk

Go back to your basement.

19. crawlord

[​IMG]

20. dlchris1

Not an IT expert, and I really don't care who's at fault I just want it fixed.
    That being said I run BDO at the same time on two different machines and 1 pc might be fine the other one will start lagging, then it's fine for an hour or so. Or 1 machine will dc while the other one is fine. Then it will switch around and the pc that wasn't or didn't lag will start. Yet when I play other online games it's fine no lag and no dc's. That just seems weird especially since I didn't have any connectivity issues till last patch. And while all this is going on I'm also streaming a show my son is playing his online games, streaming show's and not dcing show's are not buffering. Yet it's my ISP ( not using Shi*cast ) and not BDO. Just seems odd.

Nebz likes this.