1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes, the lag is your ISP's fault. No, there is very little that Kakao can do about it.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Memetess, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Heartbeat

No different from those tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists who have their head shoved so far up their own ass the only viewpoint and logic they can perceive is their own.
    If you knew anything and actually read OP's post it does make sense

2. Spartakatz

actually, you experience lags *much* more than with grinding. e.g, when the servers actually were pretty bad and overcrowded, lifeskilling was almost not possible at all. every npc click took half a minute, every 1second cook took half a minute, looting fish, etc.

while with grinding, mobs still died, pve is somehow not fully synced, all you had was that the pets maybe didn't loot everything, but you had to pay attention for that.

3. Lucifair

Lucifair Warrior 59 NA

OP left out a few things. For starters it is always the BDO server, at least according the results I've seen, that drops packets and spikes. Points towards the destination being the problem, or the jump to the destination.

As for the lag being solved for some and not for others can easily be explained by differences in hardware, if modifications were made to the client. If memory serves this was the case.

And the odds of different ISPs that do not share assets or routings to have the exact same issue start at the exact same time is, to say the least, unlikely.

As for throttling. No. Just no. Plenty of people outside of NA play on the NA servers. And some of these people are located in countries in which throttling is illegal.

And that's just a few of the things you left out.

Sorry champ you simply can't blame this one on the ISPs.

4. Obeah

That is completely wrong. Lag in games has nothing to with Net Neutrality. Net Neutrality is definitely a thing and should be talked about, but games like BDO use less 100kb/s for connectivity. That is slower than any throttling that might be done. Dropped packets and latency, not slow speeds, are the cause of lag.

The issue is with internet traffic, how data is routed and the 3rd party ISPs that traffic our data. Me contacting my ISP to complain about lag in games is tantamount to me calling my congressman because there is traffic when I go to Disneyland. Sure he could do something about it, but he isn't going to just because I complained. But if Disneyland realizes they are losing business because of traffic, they can open channels to actually effect change.

The same is true for Kakao. They need to open incidents with their ISP, who can in turn contact the impacting ISPs and look to fix the issues that are effecting Kakao;s playerbase. That is the only way anything will ever change.

5. Nebz

Mediah siege was **** for every1, and there had been lots and lots of high population sieges before that on NA, most of them with barely any lag.

6. Sugam

Whats funny is it does not matter WHO's fault it is. It directly affecting BDO and giving many people reason to just quit. If I was them, I would try to resolve it and let the community know of its progress, at least by weekly...that is, if they really do care for the health of this game. So yes, anyone with common sense if they were them, would get involved directly into this to try to resolve this. I suspect they already are just not huge on the whole communication thing. But who knows, I could be wrong in that.

Tvvin likes this.
  7. Varilyn

So the OP is basicly saying if there exists one player who is not disconnecting/lagging in a game, then nobody should disconnect/lag in that game and if anybody does then it's their ISP's fault.

LUL

8. Kusaragii

The issue I have is, ever since the last patch I get lag and desync issues intermittently. It becomes a big problem when I'm grinding and the mobs are still hitting me but I cannot harm them or heal. I don't want to blame Kakao/PearlAbyss for everything but clearly something happened since that last patch that has affected several users. I mean, considering how many people have come out about this since the last patch at least they should investigate into this.

9. Kurano

Kurano Berserker 60 NA

Its all a nation wide conspiracy against Kakao to make them look bad maaaaannnnnnnn

10. Plykin

lol op is the biggest troll in this dam game. LUL

11. Blasphemia

When I called my ISP they said "everything is fine unless this is about BDO"

conspiracy confirmed

snark aside
    I have 5 other mmos installed who are all doing just fine, along with my net.
    No wall of text from some self-important forum white knight/possible shill is going to be able to change the reality of what I and many others are facing, which would be, fvck tons of issues with BDO's lagging D/Cing ********, and literally no issues with any other online games.
    I mean, I'm literally playing early access titles that have less connectivity/server lag issues, the reaching for excuses for this company needs to end before you all strain some muscles. Kowkow simply does not want to reinvest it's profits into revamping their **** server infrastructure, flat out. They are turning way more than enough profit to invest in whatever they need too to improve their servers which have been desyncing since launch, but they haven't amd probably won't any time soon unless their game really does start to die because of players getting fed up with a subpar server service.

#91 Blasphemia, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  12. Exception

What's this?

Do we have a bunch of non network engineers speculating about network performance without even knowing the topology?

Ok. Carry on.

OP: Please change your pic, I'd like to always think of Kojima in a positive light.

13. wellman029

my latest traceroute was handled perfectly up until it hit the ip for leaseweb in new york from there the latency grew and degraded , incidentally all the hops after nyc were through leasewebs infrastructure , i really like the last hop at 832 ms .......Leaseweb 4tehwin leasewweb.png

Nocturnus and Swordsman Guts like this.
  14. Aisthetikos

OP and friends no where to be found when the evidence piles up. If you're going to try to troll/whiteknight at least keep it up.

15. crawlord

this did not take long........ smdh

16. crawlord

how about you open a ticket with kakao directly and tell them to fix their servers and report their fix ? They way you avoid "shills" and "whiteknights

17. crawlord

Assumptions assumptions.

18. Vanadiel

In short, this is what you believe to be the issue: "Your connection is likely being throttled to the BDO servers, not your connection itself. This is where the concept of Comcast's speed lanes begins, where they would like to take advantage of the repeal of Net Neutrality to allow themselves to charge people more to have faster connections to certain websites. This includes throttling your connection to BDO until you fork over more money. Read my next bit for more information."

To that I have to say, throttling means limiting the speed of data transfer. BDO uses a very low amount of data both up and down stream. Even when throttled this would not cause any issues, because we are talking about Kbit/sec worth of transfer speeds.

I don't believe this to be an issue, it sounds more like a way to plug net neutrality than to actually solve an issue.

19. AmbientSoda

Just out of curiosity: how do you think BDO has their client and server game data distributed between them; as I'm currently trying to figure out the best options in terms of what game data should be on a server and client?

In terms of the game lagging; I haven't normally noticed this, but have had a handful of times the monsters in the game disappear and I need to restart the game to correct this, and recently the game timed out on me or I was simply disconnected somehow; however, I'm not sure if that is necessarily BDO; because of issues of security surrounding games and wonder if the issue is Microsoft, or something else malicious going on?

20. Pavo

Wow, 5 pages of people falling for a troll.

Kudos OP, KUDOS!