1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YongYea Dropping Truth Bombs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cascaden, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Cascaden

I found this video to be very interesting and informative. It helps put insight and logic behind some of the thoughts and feelings Ive had about Black Desert Online for sometime now. In fact its amazing how when the speaker dives deep into the four parts of "Monetization by Bartle Type" how well each of these techniques apply to how PA and Kakao handle BDO. Of course the last one being content. The one area where a company stands to gain the least amount of money, that one is provided for free. I used to defend BDO's monetization of off that exact point. After it's very reasonable purchase price, BDO offers tons of content and updates for perceptually free. Now though...after having all of the other areas that arent free dissected...its makes me question the morality behind the cash shop. Im not arguing BDO isn't a good game. Or that anyone who enjoy's it shouldn't play it. Obviously buying pearls is a choice. However the purposeful manipulation has me now on edge after years of playing. I knew it was there all this time. I just didn't let it bother me. Until now.

Anyone else feel similarly? Or do you see things differently? Share your thoughts below.

2. Chaos Ronin

Chaos Ronin RyunokoDynasty Mystic 61 NA

BDO is the product of a business and what do businesses essentially want to achieve? Make money of course and make as big a profit as possible, it's smart to make your profits sustainable too and that's why in the gaming world developers roll out new content and reason's to stay around more often than the games that fail at this type of business. Nothing PA or Kakao are doing is immoral, illegal or crafty. Anyone who thinks so is either a child, a freeloader or just downright cheap in my eye's. Most things that are offered in this game can be obtained by the unwilling and unable to spend players via the cash shop that is being sold by the willing and able to spend players. Anything in the game can be achieved by people not spending a single penny. Yes, you may need to put a little more effort and time in there but it is perfectly doable. I've come from games that you simply can not even compete at mid level without spending tens of thousands of $.

BDO's cash shop is fine and very reasonable in my eye's. :)

3. Cascaden

Thanks for sharing your opinion. However, You posted 16 mins after my post replying to a post about a 25 min video. Just wondering...did you actually watch the video?

4. Chaos Ronin

Skimmed through it and I believe I got the point of the video, but no I did not watch the entire video from start to finish :)

5. Cascaden

I will need to disagree with you here as I do believe you missed the point. Your response seems a bit out of context which is to be expected since you didn't watch the video.

6. Tvvin

Tvvin The_Professional

I seen that earlier. Proudly been subbed to Yongyea for a year and a half or so lol

Phoenixxx75 and Cascaden like this.
  7. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

You may think that bdo cash shop prices are reasonable but I disagree. The price for the tent and the pets are reasonable because they are account bound. However all the items that are character bound are very expensive for their one character use.
    Apart from this the very fact that they make the gameplay so difficult if you do not have these items is the reason that I and many others are unhappy. Being manipulated is not all that appealing after all.
    In regard to you coming from games that people need to spend thousands to be any good does not make bdo any better because many people have spent thousands on this game too.

Cascaden and Tvvin like this.
  8. Sheky

Sheky Ranger 62

News flash: trash devs are trash.

Just don't give'em your money. I've stopped spending on this game for over a year now. These devs think my time is worthless, so I treat them the same way about their time.

9. Chaos Ronin

You do not need a tent and we constantly get free pets just for playing. You may not be able to sell tents on the market but you can sell pets... The items that are character bound (i assume you mostly mean outfits) can all be bought from the market with money you make in game without spending anything at all.
    I have also spent thousands on this game and I have no advantage at all compared to friends who have spent very little. In fact, I have friends in BDO who are way more geared than myself and have spent nothing apart from buying the game itself.

I know this is slightly off subject, but i just wanted to reply to you :)

10. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

I just said the tent and the pets are a reasonable price. Nowhere did I say you need it and In fact I do not have the paid tent and I do not use the free one. I think you need to learn to comprehend the written words.

Tvvin likes this.
  11. Chaos Ronin

I think you need to go back and reread what you said or at least what I was saying in response to your "written words". You claimed, "Apart from this the very fact that they make the gameplay so difficult if you do not have these items is the reason that I and many others are unhappy".
    So, please make it clear in written English exactly what they make very difficult in the game that forces you or anyone else to spend your real life money on that which is not obtainable from the market with in game currency. Outfits? Because that is the main thing that is character bound, Horse whistle maybe? Maybe you mean Artisans?

If your "written" words are not clear enough to avoid being interpreted as something else because of the lack of information you are putting forward. Maybe you should use those "written words" to be a little more clear on the point you are attempting to make instead of trying to be rude or cocky? Also, it's typed btw not written. :)

12. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

I said that the tent and pets were not expensive because they are account bound. I said the other items that are character bound are expensive. I should have been clear that without these items especially weight and storage the game is more difficult. It is also more difficult if you do not have at least five tier three pets and although they give away pets now and again it would take a long long time to get five t 3 pets without purchasing them direct from the pearl shop or relying on someone else to buy them and post them for you. I agree that you do not need the tent.
    I normally endeavour to keep my posts short and imagined that most people could understand what I was saying.
    Whichever way you want to look at it the game is pay to win irregardless of whether some people that have spent nothing but countless hours on the game have better gear than you do after spending a lot of money( I imagine they have still got all of these items that others have posted).
    The facts remain that you can turn real life money into in game money and buy best in slot items from the central market(when they are available), or you can give yourself countless safe enhancements with the converted money.
    I also know that many people live in denial about the p2w or otherwise of this game and that I cannot convince them otherwise.
    Ps outfits are not at all needed they are however overpriced. As for what is character bound there are weights and personal inventory that are desirable (I know you can get them with loyalties but it would take forever to get both maxed out with the loyalties) and the mount flute which you can live without. The shark suit is also necessary if you do not want to rage quit the game if you are interested in underwater gathering or for doing the margoria quests.

#12 Phoenixxx75, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Tvvin likes this.
  13. SevFFS

SevFFS Kunoichi 62 EU

While I agree with the video, BDO is kind of a special case... Weight and inventory are very much a necessity to buy to have a fun time. However, it could be way worse.

The real issue with BDO is that, while they mastered the art of the cash shop, they completely ignore important aspects of the game. Like balancing, bugs, etc. Its actually many companies. I am willing to pay for a subscription, I am willing to pay for certain upgrades to my character (unless it is gear), but when all available dev capacity goes into cash shop items and the game itself is a huge mess, thats when I get pissed.

Phoenixxx75, Chaos Ronin and Cascaden like this.
  14. Cascaden

Well said. You have a good point.