1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You're the CEO of a gaming company...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Stabby, May 27, 2018.

1. Stabby

Ok. So you are now the CEO of a gaming company. This particular company is a publicly traded corporation. So not only do you have customers, you have shareholders. Let's just say this hypothetical game is Black Desert Online and your shareholders are not very pleased right now. You have to make drastic changes, and FAST!

What do you do?

Your budget is $200 mil US dollars.

2. aswedishtiger

3. Stabby

The point of this thread is that players complain, and often for good reasons. But how would you fix things? What real world solutions would you apply? How would you bring in future revenue? What timeline would you do this in?

Most importantly, how would you fix player retention?

4. ambyentlight

You do what Kakao is currently doing hire shills to badmouth other upcomeing mmos to maintain dominance that BDO is the only game worth playing.

This way most people that hear peoples opinions on the compeditor game will think that game sounds like trash im not gonna touch it. Then you spend what you were going to spend on that game on Kakao in pearls for new stuff.

The sad truth is any company with billions of dollars like kakao can pay for support, whilst keeping the actual cost of the upkeep low. most shills here get paid in pearls probally to have no exspenditure.

5. IRustyI

you called me ?

Stillwaters likes this.
  6. farsay

farsay Mystic 62 NA

200 million divided as follows, 50 million for the CEO, 50 million for high ranking executives, 50 million for the the rest of the employees salaries, 30 million running expenses "day to day", 15 million for advertising, 3 million for parties and other odd expenses, 1.5 million for CEO travel expenses, 500 thousand for legal expenses, so as you can see they dont have money for improvements.

#6 farsay, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Woodsy and Stabby like this.
  7. Lefteye

You went over budget by 10 mil. Hehe

Woodsy, Stabby and Arreyanne like this.
  8. Lystra

Lystra IaIatina Wizard 62 EU

PA Fishing for new ideas is getting desperate now.

Woodsy and Shutara like this.
  9. RoakOriginal

Hire someone who at least once in their life heard words "quality management"...

ODB3698 and Stabby like this.
  10. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

OP has 666 Likes as of the initial posting...That means something.

Stabby likes this.
  11. farsay

farsay Mystic 62 NA

fix it, good thing i dont run the budget, but i think i would still do a better job, at least i would invest more in the infrastructure

Stabby likes this.
  12. Stabby

Here's what I would do if I was the CEO of Pearl Abyss.

I would assemble and invest in a larger team. I would give them 1 year to build two medium sized expansions. One would be north of Port Ratt, the other would be north of Ancado Inner Harbor.

I would add an instanced dungeon. Clicking the door or portal would give the player a dozen options. Solo, advanced solo, group and raid zones. I would tie the dungeons into completely new servers so they will never effect server performance for everyone else.

I would put in a "Hide all horses" option. I would put in a "Hide all AFK players in safe zones" option.

I would rebuild the guild system. I would incentivize solo players to join a guild. Something so good that they couldn't stay solo. I would redesign the guild UI and add a lot more functionality. I would rebuild the guild quest system to allow for guild leaders to pick the type and area of any quest they want. I would put in a checkbox allowing you to see online players only. I would add an officer only and guild leader only note section to each player. I would increase the desire to participate in guild missions by introducing a new currency for participants. I would add a new NPC that would allow guild members to purchase unique armor, weapons and stuff with that currency (only way to get it). I would allow invites and contract renewals to be used on any and all channels, regardless of the officer/guild leaders location.

I would lift the soft cap to 70, the hard cap to 80.

I would introduce a new type of weapons and armor specifically for PvP. They would have a unique set of stats that define the success of PvP. I would do the same for PvE, but the stats would be required to be successful in the new dungeons.

I would add two new ranged classes. Strong at far range, weak at close range.

I would add an additional 10 levels to horses.

I would add a new incentive to group with players.
    2 people - 10% XP bonus
    3 people - 20% XP bonus
    4 people - 30% XP bonus
    5 people - 40% XP bonus plus 15% increased drop rate

I would increase the amount of money and XP in Sulfur Mine, Pila Ku, Aakman, Hysteria and all Kamasylvia locations. I would make a progression system out of the loot table. Force well geared players to strive for harder content by increasing XP and monetary gain. The XP would be so good the player would never want to look back.

I would eliminate the RNG chance of preorders. A preorder is now a preorder. Highest bid wins 100% of the time.

I would allow up to TET on all existing gear, without chance of downgrading. The new gear introduced by the PvP and PvE currency will go up to TRI whithout chance of downgrading.

I would make Cron stones a 100% chance to prevent downgrading and breaking.

I would add a new monthly subscription based model to pay for it all. The optional subscription would allow the player access to a PvE only channel on top of all the existing "Value Pack" rewards. Entering the PvE channel will flag the player as "unable to swap servers" for 8 hours. This will prevent misuse. City arenas, red battlefield, etc. will still be accessible.

I would add more and much larger player housing. I would also introduce a training dummy that placed in the house. It will allow the player to AFK combat XP.

I would add more cool stuff to AFK fishing. I would add more horse skills as to incentivize horse breeding and leveling. I would introduce another new AFK mechanic called "Archaeology". The player would AFK run to various map location and dig. As a side effect Archaeology would increase the Breathing ability.

I would add a questline for a permanent lantern. I would add a questline for a magical pair of shoes that increase out of combat running speed. The shoes would have the same tiers and run speeds of horses.

I would remove all horse and wagon collision mechanics. No more bumping!

I would build a new universal website. It would be in all languages and serve as a one stop shop for all BDO discussion.

I would create a new Beta Server. Playing beta content will yield nice rewards for your main server account. All cash shop items are free on the Beta server and there will never be a limit.

I would revert all PvP changes made in the past 3 months. I would introduce a new PvP only set of stats that is built into the above mentioned gear. Crystals will be essential to customize all resists. The player will have to decide the type of resists to get. Their decisions will have consequences depending on the class they encounter.

I would rebuild the whole node war structure in such a way that low gear players can participate in node wars. Guilds would be given a score based on the average players gear score and renown score. They will only qualify to compete for specific nodes with that particular score. They can go up, but never down, in terms of node war score requirements. This should get more guilds involved and everybody wins.

I would triple the monetary reward from all guild quests. The guild leader will have an opt in option to split the money upon quest completion.

I would rebuild Margoria. It would have tons of boardable pirate ships that give personal loot. Make the high seas an amazing place to farm booty!

Last but not least, I would take my dev team and start building BDO 2 as soon as possible. This time I would do it right. I would launch with PvP and PvE servers in order to entice WoW, EQ, GW2, etc players to join my game. There would be a lot more focus on raids and PvE content. There will be specific "Overwatch" type of PvP maps, content and matches.

13. Nakria

Nakria Wizard 60 EU

If i would be CEO -> act like trying to fix a "Game" -> Release it on a Console system -> act like you fixed the Game -> leave both versions as Trash -> move onto the next Project and keep the massive gains.

14. Zephyrsong

whoa whoa whoa, that's way too many complicated questions, you forget about 70% of our playerbase is at a 3rd graders comprehension level.

Start a little easier, your first question should be "what kind of Juice will there be?"

Extrabone and Stabby like this.
  15. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

If you do 5 more post after this one it will be a vertical 666 as well, and someone can screen shot it.

Stabby likes this.
  16. Stabby

for kinreaa <3

666.jpg

Reigne Irkalla and RoakOriginal like this.
  17. Raiya Li

In all honesty the one thing I've hated with the whole combat system is the whole random CC out of nowhere mechanics and nothing on the UI to display it even. Been levelling all the classes up to 56/58 and they removed the super armors before I could get around to figuring out how they worked. :/

They're probably right about how the system needs a rework but the approach so far doesnt seem to be working. Should be running these in a test environment first or make it a bit more straightforward on their usage.

AZzalor, MoZex and Stabby like this.
  18. majerott

Game is screwed. Pocket the 200m and run to another country.

Bigger question, how are you going to get players to come back?

"I would eliminate the RNG chance of preorders. A preorder is now a preorder. Highest bid wins 100% of the time." this is absolutely awful idea. You're fired. You can only have 1 pre order active... Not everyone wants to fork out 50% to 500% more than an item is worth. Some do. Not everyone wants to do this. Man, if you work for bdo... the market place is done.

I hate the market place, I hate rng on enhancements. I HATE the battle to find a grind spot. I hate how long it takes to level and life skill. 2 years of this game and I can't give any +'s to it.

So what kept me here?
    Hoping they'd fix the servers so I could play with my best friend. OH wait. That still didn't happen. GG!!

AZzalor and Stabby like this.
  19. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

Stabby likes this.
  20. Denothir

Every time a new class releases and I think about how I'd like to level it I remember there's a bad decision to not increase the amount of XP you get per party member, and instead decrease it. Then I think how many times I'm willing to be killed while waiting 15 minutes for a server change. Basically, if anyone came back for Lahn, they're probably gone by Wednesday because nobody grouped with them, nobody wanted to party, and no relationships were formed. Make it so if I turn up, someone better than me at the fighting game WANTS me to be around. Who knows, they might be my class and help point out some mistakes during our grind. Or maybe I'll learn just by watching.

Lol, I forgot none of you can read this because your screen just says "You have been killed by that guy".

Edit: I removed what might be perceived as an insult towards the devs. I do love this game a lot.

Stabby likes this.